Audiophile Over-Ear Closed-Back Headphones <$700 Recommendations?
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

snovich

New Head-Fier
Hello there! I'm looking to get a great pair of over ear, closed back, audiophile quality headphones for both normal listening and possible studio use, all for less than $700 USD.

I listen to all genres of music, so they would of course have to sound great all around, but I mostly care about how they sound while playing Electronic music as that is what I produce. I expect to use these at home, on the street/while commuting, and for on the go composition/production occasionally when Studio Monitors aren't available.

Some nice features that I would appreciate are:
Daisy-chain functionality
Mute Button / Audio Controls
Removable Ear-pads
3.5mm & 1/4in options

Another thing to note is that my head is on the smaller side when comparing to the average – which has affected my headphone choices in the past. For example: massive headphones that do not have smaller-size adjustments generally do not fit well, and I usually adjust all of my friends' headphones down to the shortest settings before use. 

Currently, I am considering Master & Dynamic's MH40's because of their functionality + pretty good quality, but you guys know what would be best!

Thanks so much with the help!

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 9
This might sounds stupid, but the V-Moda M-100 (dual input or chain, default Y-cable option and remote cable, optional BoomPro Mic or CoilPro Cable or XL Pads, standard 3.5mm plugs from the headphone side) will work too.  However, it's SQ is not neutral so it doesn't work with everything.  You can try it out at either Brookstone or Microsoft Stores.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the comment DrSheep – but I'm upgrading from some higher-end models than what V-Moda offers, so it's sound quality isn't quite up to what I am looking for. I've tried them out in store and they fit ok, sounded alright, but weren't a huge improvement over a pair of Beats in my opinion. For reference, I am opting for getting a high-end over-ear headphone instead of some IEMs (the IEMs I was looking at are too pricy for me right now).

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah that's what I was thinking.  However, higher end stuff generally don't offer these user friendly options.  I would recommend the Alpha Dog, but it has no remote support (need to go custom cable) or chain option.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Take a look at the Fostex TH600. It's not going to offer all of the functionality you want but it's in incredible can for electronic music. You'll need an adapter for 3.5mm and I don't know of headphones in that price range that offer mute buttons and the like. Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for on the go use as they're expensive and don't have the best isolation for a closed can but I know there's at least one user in the TH600 thread who uses them as a portable headphone.

I'm not sure how they'll work from a production aspect. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes very true, in fact, all Mr. Speakers' headphones are highly upgraded versions of the Fostex T50RP.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the Mad Dogs and I've heard the Alpha Dogs. Both are really great headphones. I love my TH600s as well... safe to say that Fostex makes a great driver :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 9
That's funny, I was also secretly considering getting something from MrSpeakers since his stuff is pretty widely recommended on this site! I was just worried about the how big they are in comparison to my head – from the photos they seem fairly large! Do you guys think that would be an issue?

Also, would you say that the Alpha's are better than the Mad Dog Pro's for what I'm doing? I sure like the look of the Pro's better and they are supposedly better for EDM according to their website. That being said, I don't exactly produce EDM so the base might be overpowering.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 9
MD < AD < AP

And yes they are big, but their lamb skin pads are over an inch thick, so I don't think you will have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back