Audiophile Newbie makes first purchase !
Dec 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The red hope

New Head-Fier
Hi Head Fi Community,

Let me first congratulate this forum on being such an extensive storehouse of knowledge and info for the audiophile community. I have been reading these forums incessantly for the past few weeks trying to decide what my first pair of 'audiophile' headphones should be. 

I have always been gifted in ear headphones before those - Bose and Sennheisers, which have either had flimsy builds or I have been rough on them because I always lose one buds functionality in about three months or so. I've been determined to buy a sturdy pair of over ears closed headphones and thats how I stumbled on your neck of the woods and wow, has it been an enlightening few weeks.

After a lot of consideration, I have decided on the Audio Technica ATH M50 (coiled) ... considering the overwhelming reviews of the product. I hope to evolve as an audiophile over time and explore new products and techniques but I suspect I'll be pleased with my first buy. I paid 119$ on ebay (proaudiostar being the seller), which is a much better price than the 160$ currently on amazon. I had a tough time deciding between the straight or coiled pair but the coiled prevailed because i don't envision having to walk too far from my phones while i have them on and the 11' cable with the S was a deal breaker. 

Well, just want to register to thank you all. Can't wait for it to arrive. \m/ 

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Awesome, hope you like your M50 
beerchug.gif
 Good choice on the coiled cable, I never liked straight cables

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Oh yeah, 11' seemed unnaturally long for me but these are studio monitors after all. Have you experienced the 'heaviness' and pull of the coil that I have heard people complain about? Also, do the coils take a fair amount of space in lugging around in a backpack? 

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Coiled cables are indeed heavy, it can be felt very easily but not really annoying IMO. They do take up some space compared to straight cables, but at least they don't tangle 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back