Audiophile music player
Oct 21, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #16 of 40
For me the cost just needs to be weighed up against the use. When I lived in London I commuted for 3 hours per day on the trains, so I spent a few pennies on a decent portable rig as it got lots of eartime. Now I live within 500m of my work, so my 'commute' is a short walk - not worth bothering with a DAP really. So this has directed me into the small form factor, luggable DAP - something to use at my desk or when I'm away i hotels etc. Currently I use a netbook with a USD HDD and USB DAC/Amp which works great. If you count the cost of that rig though - its gets close to the HiFiman outlay real quickly! But we all 'need' a pc/laptop!

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #17 of 40
Pardon for going off tangent, but I hate vagueness--especially if it pertains to something I have an interest in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received mine. Gotta say it sounds good apart from its budget and hiss is annoying.

I understand that the audiophile world is dappled with opaque terms, such as "cold," "warm," "smooth" and others, but would you be kind enough to make clear what, in the Great Pumpkin's name, does "mine" refer to? (Amp3? HifiMan? What?) Your explanation will help those who are indecisive or those who want more information regarding a particular DAP. In my case--as well as testrichard's--I would really be surprised and disappointed if the HifiMan hisses (save but one that Edwood had, which, apparently, was an exception as far as it is known).

As others have alluded to its inherent hissing issue, I hasten to surmise that you meant Amp3? After all this will give me some mental conform, you see.
tongue.gif

Thanks,

--dymer

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #18 of 40
right, the hissing I refer to is with the Amp3. All players will hiss to a certain degree with any earphone, but that hiss is amplified when taken in context of its output. Certain iems act as microphones for basically any audio misstep and MY AMP3 hisses like the bloody dickens. HiSound are in contact with me about this issue but we have yet to work out what to do! It could be that my 'hiss' is another man's 'black background', but that makes little sense as most portable sources I have owned hiss a lot less than the AMP3 Pro2 and a few have been picked on for hiss.

So, either my device is faulty, or headfi is full of cotton-heads!

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #19 of 40
The issue of hiss in portable players seems to be reported more often by folk with sensitive IEMs - I'm not saying that its not an issue with fullsize cans, but I'm blissfully unaware of any hiss on any of the players in my possession.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #21 of 40
Well I have the Amp3 Pro 2 and I cant hear any audible hiss. The sound is simply awesome ! However its not the most intuitive player. So buy it only if you want incredible sound quality and you are willing to work with the Amp3s quirks.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #22 of 40
The Pro 2 that I own hisses with both the UM3Xs and the AD900s. I also could discern grain though that could be from my AD900s since I notice it with my diymod as well.

Barring the flaws aside, the Pro 2 to my ears, is very smooth sonically. Its also extends well in both directions. Treble and bass lines are adequate enough to my ears.

Nov 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 40
I'll be interested in an Amp3 when the hiss problem is resolved. There's just too many complaints about it too ignore. It's obvious there must be a problem.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, either my device is faulty, or headfi is full of cotton-heads!

My guess is the latter. I use the stock buds and sr80's. I would say with "normal" ambient noise there is almost no hiss with the sr80's, but if I'm listening at home (very quiet) I find the hiss is so loud I can't listen it at all. I turn the volume attenuator on the stock buds to half way and the hiss is completely gone! Also, I can listen to rock on my sr80 at home and not notice the hiss; its really only with classical, especially when few instruments are involved, that it becomes unacceptable. Please keep in mind the sr80's are low sensitivity, many people claim there is "no" hiss with them. I'm looking to buy the k501's. Anybody know how they sound with the pro2?

My guess is that different reports on hiss is simply due to differences in ambient noise and music tastes.

Getting back to the thread: to my knowledge this and the hm801 are the ONLY audiophile dap's. I bought a cheap ipod which I plan to mod, but thats not really too portable. If you're good at diy you could look into the imod + cmoy or mini3, this setup would cost you under 200!

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be interested in an Amp3 when the hiss problem is resolved. There's just too many complaints about it too ignore. It's obvious there must be a problem.

It's not a problem. It's just what kind of monitors/earphones/headphones you pair hem up with. I get zero hiss from my Starkey PM700S and PM800S (Or now so called Tunz Duo and Tunz Trio B), and extremely close to none with my ES3X, UE11, and JH10X3.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a problem. It's just what kind of monitors/earphones/headphones you pair hem up with. I get zero hiss from my Starkey PM700S and PM800S (Or now so called Tunz Duo and Tunz Trio B), and extremely close to none with my ES3X, UE11, and JH10X3.

Hmmm interesting. What about the stock earbuds that come with it? Any hiss? How do they sound? I use a portable mp3 player for just that so I don't want to be caring around my Grado's or anything and really wouldn't want to have to buy any new earbuds anytime soon because I'm feeling sorry for my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back