Audiophile MiniDisc Users?
Feb 1, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #46 of 64
Most of my BBC recordings were done from a high-end FM tuner.

The BBC now broadcast in digital but they have stopped most of their outside broadcast recordings.

Since Greg Dyke took over four years ago the BBC has really gone down the pan. Luckily he resigned over the Hutton enquiry finding a few days ago so we may see the live broadcasts resume in the future.

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #47 of 64
just got another defective MD. I am carefull not to put the near magnetic sources but still this is the second in two years. And this one had mos of my ideas about future music stuff etc. Around 40 minutes were lost. It displays disc error and cannot be read.
I am one step from quitting MD since the only use I had for it were recording my band , my music ideas and concerts.

anyone want to trade my MZ-R50 for a good tape recorder?

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #48 of 64
OK, I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but I'd like to relate my experience with MD. I have a Sony JA555ES deck - the big gun, if you will, the one Sony ES went all out on (dual power supply, tank-like construction, no expenses spared parts, etc.) - a 30 pound monster that sounds absolutely gorgeous. The analogue converters on the line stage and the DA converters of this behemoth are second to none, and I mean really! I've never heard a DAT deck anywhere near this price range (the JA555ES retailed for around $1000 US back in 2000) or even double or triple that figure that even comes close to the quality that went into this machine.

The typical MD naysayers, meaning ill-informed "audiophiles" have probably never properly heard MD, period. And very few of them have really listened to a flagship deck like a JA20ES or (its successor) a JA555ES. Now these models feature a level of construction and DA conversion that will blow away most consumer (even the upper end) CD decks. Just as MD portables have noticeably better construction and higher quality output than PCDP's, so too do the Sony ES decks when compared to CD decks several notches above the ES price class (and that includes, strangely enough, the ES CD decks).

This is truly a case of getting what you pay for. The oft-touted "laid back" or "loss of presence" characteristic of MD is hardly at all apparent in a deck like this. Yes, I do occasionally (and I stress that it's exceedingly rare) detetct some minor difference in the MD recording and the original, but it's minor. And I think I or anyone else would be hard pressed to correctly identify which is which in a blind test.

This machine, in case you haven't already noticed, is one of my favorite pieces of equipment. (I also own several MD portables, so, yes, I do very much like this format!)

As for Hi-MD, I welcome it, but will also wait to see what happens. There's no great hurry for me to embrace it just yet. I hope the format does take off and that an ES Hi-MD deck will appear eventually.

One more thing about the advantage of MD. This is the only consumer audio format that writes to Magneto Optical disc - the longest-lasting and most stable digital storage medium there is. (Why do you think that medical records are stored on Magneto Optical and not CD-R/DVD-R or trusted to a harddrive?) Yes, a damaged MD (more often than not, usually attributed to TOC failure arising from subpar, offbrand blanks - anyone remember Hi-Space brand? Not to mention Memorex!) is a drag, and I've had approximately 3 out of well over 1500 die on me over the years. (Two were Memorex, one was Hi-Space.)

For every dead MD blank one can easily build a ramp to the moon out of dead CD-Rs!

One more great thing about this format: tired of the contents of any particular MD? Erase it and record again. No waste, no CD-R in the trash can - nothing! What a great concept!

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #49 of 64
Marios Mar,

Are you certain that the problem lies with the MD itself and not your MZ-R50? Have you tried putting it in another machine? I have seen this happen with dying portables. (I should also ask if the MD is a Memorex. Lots of people have had problems with those blanks. I avoid them completely.)

Feb 2, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #50 of 64
the mz-r50 works perfect. The other blanc that was destroyed was 2 years ago. So its definately not a dying MD. CDrs are a medium not to trust either especially CDRW. I have a had a few problematic CDRs over the years too.

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #52 of 64
I too have a Sony JA555ES in gold
biggrin.gif

It makes great recordings,the best media for it was the white Sony ES 74min discs,which they stopped making some time ago.

BTW I believe TDK have stopped making the Pro CDR audio discs (the gold coloured ones that came in an SACD type jewel box)which were expensive but had great sound.

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar

anyone want to trade my MZ-R50 for a good tape recorder?

When you get your first eaten tape or erased tape (because you left it on top of a speaker or something) or melted tape (left in car) or can't stand the wow/flutter (these are all things I've experienced with tape that have driven me nuts) you'll want an MD all over again
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #55 of 64
I spent a LOT of time this weekend doing even MORE extensive A/B'ing. I found that, at times, the restoration tools take too much away from the original vinyl copy. It starts to sound too digital and "not real"---if that makes sense. Sure, at times it sounds great, but more often than not, I long for the LP.

I also buy a lot of new vinyl (Radiohead, Peter Gabriel's Up, Stereolab, Original Matser Recordings, etc.).......and putting those through the computer absolutely ruins the sound. I'm starting to learn that vinyl is meant to be heard the way it is. The only real way to restore is to clean records on a really good record cleaner (thankfully, I have Nitty Gritty).

Also, it is so unbelievably time consuming to restore vinyl on the computer. It can take hours to get it done right. Sorry, but I'd rather spend that time LISTENING to music!

As far as pops, clicks, and scratches go....the old, "garbage in, garbage out" saying rings true. If a record sounds horrible on the table (after cleaning), then the recording will sound bad no matter how you master it.

Yeah, recording vinyl straight to a CD-R deck will sound better, but only SLIGHTLY. The convenience factor of MD MORE than makes up for it...and besides, on a tremendous deck like mine, the sound is still pheonomenal!

Starting now, MiniDisc will be my main format for recording! I'm going to go get started...

Oh, yeah, and after reading some of these posts, I REALLY want one of those ES decks!!!

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
It makes great recordings,the best media for it was the white Sony ES 74min discs,which they stopped making some time ago.

Are you sure? I know I bought them in Japan over the summer, and you used to be able to buy them at minidisco.com...

edit I just looked and you can buy the 80 min white Sony ES, they don't have 74 anymore. That said, you can buy them singly, in packs of 5, 50 or 100.

Feb 3, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #57 of 64
*edit*

After updgradng cable, vinyl recordings sound better than ever. Going through the computer and "cleaning up" only ruins the dynamics. From now on, all recordings are going straight to my pro MD deck!!! I LOVE IT!

Feb 5, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #58 of 64
Trawlerman (or anyone else w/ a high-end deck) -

How do you record vinyl? That is, how do you set your levels, etc? Do you ever hit the "over" mark?

The great thing about my pro deck, is that I can set the db to zero, and increase the INPUT volume through a knob on the back of the deck, which cuts down on resolution loss.

Feb 5, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #59 of 64
'nother hand up over here for minidisc. My first deck was a Sony MDS-510. When that one died (as I remember that model had alot of failure problems) I got a 520. Also have a MDS-JB920. One portable... MZ-N707. I've been a minidisc fan from almost the get-go and still use it. Every Sunday night at 11:00pm I record Hearts of Space.

The sad thing about most radio stations is most of them air off of a server. In other words they're mp3s folks. I have a few friends here in the industry here and they all say it's the standard practice now. Funny thing is instead of using the old cart machines for spots alot of them use minidisc!

Feb 5, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. X
Trawlerman (or anyone else w/ a high-end deck) -

How do you record vinyl? That is, how do you set your levels, etc? Do you ever hit the "over" mark?

The great thing about my pro deck, is that I can set the db to zero, and increase the INPUT volume through a knob on the back of the deck, which cuts down on resolution loss.

I do it the way I used to do it with CD (before ripping/etc.) - find the loudest part of the disc, then use that to set levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back