Audiophile MiniDisc Users?
Jan 29, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #34 of 64
What broadcasts do you receive Marios?

Is it the World Service or do you get the intern service such as Radio 1~6?

A good place to find schedules is http://www.bbc.co.uk

Jan 30, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #35 of 64
What a cool thread. I've been using minidisc since 1996 or so. I've got an ES deck, the first to use ATRAC R as I understand it (before it was called ATRAC R), that I got at an insane price from a local audio store during a warehouse sale. I've also got two portables, a 5 CD/5 MD/Tuner/Amp thing with various bizarre capabilities that I call "the contraption" that was discontinued a few years ago so I got it at an insane price from Crutchfields, and the MXD-D40 high speed CD => MD recorder, and a deck with a keboard input for titling (again bought at closeout for very cheap). The nice thing about minidsic equipment is that if you're patient you can get some great deals, since it is a niche market with the hardware advancing very quickly.

I think I'm going to hold out for the killer Hi-MD component recorder at a discontinued type of price, just for the sake of completeness.

I have all of my old LPs on minidisc (I used my minidisc ES deck, with its own channel balance control and many other niceties, for that purpose). At the time, there was no other practical way to record my large record collection, and I am just in love with all of my old LPs on MD, tracks divided, titled, etc. etc. So now they are as convenient and playable as CDs for the rest of my life.

I think the MD portables sound great, but I agree, it seems to me the MD components have full-blown awesome sound.

So that's my MD story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999

I am just in love with all of my old LPs on CD, tracks divided, titled, etc. etc.

So you ended up transferring to CD? (Or did you mean MiniDisc?)

Oh, and I agree, this has been a cool thread. Thanks for contributing!

Jan 31, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
What I can say is that when I compared copies of "Welcome To The Pleasuredome - Frankie Goes To Hollywood" that I made from both CD and LP, the dis that used the LP as the source left the CD one for standing in detail, ambience and dynamics.

Great album...I'm not surprised that the vinyl still sounds better (I believe they have yet to remaster that gem). Here's a question: When recording vinyl, do you sometimes find it hard to tolerate the clicks and pops when playing back the MD copy? Do you sometimes wish you could clean it up on a computer before dumping to MD? Or are you happy with the sound and not interested in manipulating the recording?

Feb 1, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #40 of 64
*edit*

Feb 1, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Tell me, what are you using for your mac to do this? I have a mac too, and I might be interested in doing it.

Two things:

1) MOTU (Mark Of The Unicorn) 828 Firewire I/O www.motu.com

2) TC Electronic Spark XL www.tcelectronic.com

*edit* The MOTU has an excellent ADC

*edit* I'M STICKING W/ MINIDISC!!

Feb 1, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #43 of 64
quick post: i think i'm a fairly high end system person (Creek amp, Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Sony XA-777ES, feeding Magnepan 1.6s) and have been a Minidisc user since 1996.

that being said, i bought into the format when my 2nd tape deck died (still have a Sony ES 3 head deck with Dolby S that sees little use): i own a portable (a chunky MRZ30), a car deck (7900?), and Kenwood MD1050 home deck...all of these units are at least 6 years old and are still going strong.

i chose the format mainly for convenience and i still love using it in my car. the portable has recently been replaced by an ipod. its interesting to note that unless the bitrates are 320 AAC/MP3 or WAV/AIFF, one could argue that the MD has a more pleasing sound. i think the 256 AACs i typically use are high resolving than MD, but the MD has a rich organic sound (perhaps euphonic like LP <flame suit on>) that is very pleasing to listen to.

anyway, i'm sad to see MD being phased out for the auto market because i think that is one of its perfect uses. (no worries of warping or scratching your precious CD collection) small, durable, and plenty good sonics for the car environment.

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Let me know if you are interested and i'll get a list made up of what I have.

I can pop some of them onto CD for you. Hell, I can even copy them to another MD if you wanted.

I am interested too... Please send me a copy of your collection. By the way, did you record it to MD digitally or just off analog FM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back