AUDIOPHILE LINUX (AP Linux)
Oct 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #31 of 57
I've used AP Linux 1 and 2 on old hardware that I simply had sitting around, and thought highly of it.  I haven't gone to 3 (Arch Linux) yet, largely because I had questions whether its built-in drivers would play nice with a brand new AMD Kabini-based build  - whose hardware I wanted to make sure worked properly before I began introducing potential software complications.  So after aborting an initial attempt to install the AP3 distro (it involved a lot of command line tweaking, which I wasn't prepared for at the time), I opted for Lubuntu - which sounds great to me (although I did have to learn a bit about Linux configurations instructions even with this). 

I'd be interested in opinions as to whether AP3 is sonically superior to native Lubuntu (which uses the extremely low resource LXDE desktop and also apparently excludes the potential audio contaminant of Pulseaudio) or any other minimalist distro.  All I really want this HTPC to do is to replace my CD / DVD player and allow me to play youtube videos through a flat screen TV and my main audio rig.

I'll say this about both AP Linux and Lubuntu: I never had a problem with interruptions of the audio while running either.  Linux really does appear to be an ideal audio platform.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #32 of 57
Works with AMD A10 ... so guessing X-Win driver support should be there for Kabini as well.  

For the lurkers, sound is still a function of the motherboard drivers (or sound card if you have one installed).  Auto-detected my motherboard's Realtek audio hardware (e.g. S/PDIF coax and TOSLINK) as well as a Schiit Bifrost via USB. YMMV ... and all the usual disclaimers.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #33 of 57
Can I take ap linux and use it as a main distro? Like for web surfing, General computing, etc. I'm currently using Ubuntu, I guess I'm asking if I'll miss anything if I switch to ap, or can I install whatever packages I need without affecting the specific audio environment with a bunch of 'other crap'?

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #34 of 57

Anyone managed AP Linux as a dual boot? Curious to try but don't want to wipe existing Win 8 install which appears to be only option with provided install (restore ISO image backup). Suppose I could just swap out HD but dual boot would be ideal.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #35 of 57
I have literally tried every operational system and software there is over the last 5-6 years in my quest for better PC audio.
WIndows (XP, Win7, Win8, Windows Server), OSx (almost all) , Linux (too many to remember all) and every piece of software (Audirvana, JRiver, Jplay), free or not, including some tweaks softwares like Fidelizer and Audiophile Optimizer.
There was also a bunch of hardware configurations, motherboards, Power supplies, sound cards, USB DACs, SSD hard drives, you name it, never ending story.
Over the last year I'm stack with a single OS and hardware configuration, and let me tell you that's really a big deal for me.
It has sound wise beat the crap out of anything I've tried before and that's not an overstatement, surprisingly it's rare to find any mention for it when it comes to OS based transports.
I'm talking about TahrPuppy 6.0 CE.
Comes with DeadBeef pre-installed for an audio player and and it's pretty much a "turnkey" solution,
All you need to do is download it, (tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso) use something like Rufus to make a bootable USB drive, boot from it, let it load, open and setup DeadBeef for bit-perfect audio through ALSA.
TahrPuppy loads into RAM and runs from there, there is no need for installation - dual boot and the such, it can even run without a HDD.
Also there is no need to load any drivers for USB DACs, ALSA takes care of it, I have test it with many USB Receiver chips (Tenor, Savitech, XMOS) and in every case it's Plug'n'Play.

To setup DeadBeef.......
(a) Click on the Edit menu, then Preferences.
(b) In the Preferences window under "Sound" tab > "Output plugin" = "ALSA" "Output device" = "(YOUR DEVICE), S/PDIF"   
(c) In the same Preferences window select > Plugins
     In the left column select "Alsa Output Plugin" and then click the "Configure" button
     In the configuration window make sure that ALSA resampling is Unchecked and that you place a Check in the box "Release device when stopped".
(d) In the DSP tab. Select the Resampler, then press Remove.
(e) Restart DeadBeef.
Now Deadbeef outputs Bit-Perfect audio.
DeadBeef can decode anything up to 24bit/384kHz but not DSD at the moment, there is a word for a DSD plugin soon though.

I have TahrPuppy installed in a Intel NUC D33217GKE Motherboard with a Intel SLC (Single Level Cell) HDD, 2x2gb RAM and connected to Linear regulated power supply, some minor BIOS tweaks.
This little fellow, half the size of a shoe box (including the Linear Power Supply) had been put against some mega buck purpose build audio PCs (one of them had an outboard power supply the size of Pro power amplifier) and in every case have NEVER failed to impress everyone who heard it, give it a try and be ready for a pleasant surprise.

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 57
Tried this this morning and it appears promising, at least through headphones.  The only challenge so far is that of keeping the screen from turning itself off automatically every ten minutes or so (which eventually forced my flat screen TV to turn itself off). 

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #37 of 57
I plan to install AP linux on an old netbook to create a fanless music player.
Can't see any schiit in the supported DAC list but it looks out of date to me.
http://www.ap-linux.com/documentation/supported-dacs/

Anyone had any issues / experience using the Bifrost multibit with AP linux?

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 57
  I plan to install AP linux on an old netbook to create a fanless music player.
Can't see any schiit in the supported DAC list but it looks out of date to me.
http://www.ap-linux.com/documentation/supported-dacs/

Anyone had any issues / experience using the Bifrost multibit with AP linux?

The Bifrost is using the CM6631 USB receiver chip, it is "Plug''N''Play" in AP Linux.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #39 of 57
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #40 of 57
  Tried this this morning and it appears promising, at least through headphones.  The only challenge so far is that of keeping the screen from turning itself off automatically every ten minutes or so (which eventually forced my flat screen TV to turn itself off). 

Open up a terminal window and enter these commands (pressing Enter after each one):

xset s off
xset -dpms

The first command disables the screensaver and the second command turns of the display power saving features. You can set these commands to run automatically at log on if you wish.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #42 of 57
Mar 12, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #43 of 57
Ok, I see there is a version called 6.0.5 PAE.
Going to try that, have problems connecting to Internet and network with 6.0.
Have all my music on the network.

Edit: Using 6.0.5 PAE resolved the problem.
Can acess network and Internet.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #44 of 57
  Ok, I see there is a version called 6.0.5 PAE.
Going to try that, have problems connecting to Internet and network with 6.0.
Have all my music on the network.

Edit: Using 6.0.5 PAE resolved the problem.
Can acess network and Internet.

beerchug.gif

Let us know your impressions.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #45 of 57

beerchug.gif

Let us know your impressions.

Yeah, since my rig is the mediacentral in the house I can´t compare right now.
Also using a Intel NUC/wmc/tv capture card and the  "boss" in the house is watching TV right now.

Never used anything else that windows so a litte confused how Tahrpuppy works.
At first start, no problems open up the shared network drive but after that I manually have to mount the drive to be able to open the files.
Well, have to investigate more and then listen to how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back