Audiophile Jobs...
Jul 23, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound effects editor.
Foley walker/editor.
Video game effects/sound design.

I thought about sound design for movies...I think this may be a killer job, but still can't find anyone that's ever really looked at it. I can only do SO much research online before actually having to talk to someone about it. I'll do more research on this one though....if anyone else has suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks for everyone that's replied so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
full sail
evil_smiley.gif

Thought about it, but columbia college in chicago is a much better school for recording arts- it was designed with that in mind. Also, the urban campus is vital for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought about it, but columbia college in chicago is a much better school for recording arts- it was designed with that in mind. Also, the urban campus is vital for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I think thats definitely a good fit for you(recording arts), and you seem to have settled on it. Nothing left to do but apply to Columbia College!
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think thats definitely a good fit for you(recording arts), and you seem to have settled on it. Nothing left to do but apply to Columbia College!
wink.gif

hah, yeah so it seems. I'm just making sure that there's nothing better that suits me. (never hurts to ask)
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 28
i'm confused here. you go to that college? or you're going to be applying? if you go there then can't you talk to somebody there about career options? my dad thinks i should take the MBTI to get some ideas about what direction to head. maybe you could consider it as well.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 28
A couple years ago, I did some remodeling work for one of the sound engineers from Lucas Films. Man he had access to some of the leading edge audio gear! He also has shelves with like 6 or 7 oscars and a couple emmeys for sound engineering on movies like Toy Story. I had to keep myself from drooling when he showed me the 3 full sized McIntosh amps that were hidden under a hydrolic floor panel in the trunk of his classic volvo, custom molded door panels to house speakers, custom molded rear deck subwoofer, etc... all touch screen controlled. Was insane
tongue.gif
Maybe take some tours of some major film companies and get to talking to people that work there
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't play an instrument, and you're not a producer, pretty much your only option is to be an agent at some record label....but that's not really audiophile, but it sure as hell pays.

Or a talent scout or whatever. You can get a musical theory degree, and just eMail resume's like nobody's business to record labels and see what happens. Even if you're some secretary or some crap...atleast you have your foot in the door...

it's also not the easiest job in the world. You make a mistake or dont meet their expectations...good bye.

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 28
Music is a tough field all around. I was a working musician for a short while, and I decided I liked it far too much to work in that field. 40 year old guys were totally burned out from having to sacrifice what they loved for money. When they quit, they had nothing to fall back on. Being a pro musician is, for me, not the way to go. Why ruin something you love by bringing money into it?

As far as a talent scout or major label agent, that door is closing fast. Columbia records now has two A&R (artist and repertoire) guys, down from 30 ten years ago. The internet has made their job superfluous. Most bands that sell well today have already built up a following through MySpace or some other medium, and the truth is the good ones discover themselves. Scouts exist to present contracts. There are probably no more then 200 people working as a full time A&R scout in the world, which are tough odds.

Music production, however, really is a great field. Though CD sales are down, actual consumption of music is way, way up. Bands pay for their recording directly, so unless you work for a label your pay doesn't depend on CD sales at all. It's not extremely well paying, but really nothing in music is. If it's what you like, I'd try and get an internship at a studio and make some connections, then see if you can do it for the rest of your life.

That, or become an electrical engineer. It's hard work, but it always pays well.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #25 of 28
Someone's mentioned sound engineer, so I thought I'd throw this in:

#WEB1434 - Bureau Broadcast Recording Technician, NPR West, Audio Engineering
Please note: This position is located in Culver City, CA. This position closes on August 10, 2007.
Responsible for the technical operation and technical quality of programs and program segments produced in technical facilities; and is responsible for the technical aspects of remote assignments. High school diploma, some college preferred. Bachelor’s degree in the field of audio recording, broadcasting, or music a plus. Demonstrated knowledge of audio, recording and radio production theory and practice; three years hands-on technical production, broadcasting, sound reinforcement or recording studio experience; public radio production a plus; must be able to work independently or with a team under deadline pressure; must be able to work rotating shifts; must be available for travel both in and out of the United States often or on short notice and possession of valid passport a plus.

This sounds like it might be up your alley. NPR also has an excellent internship program you should look into.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 28
Columbia College is a nice school for sure...when you do decide what you want and then go there remember this line "I really like going to the Art museum on first dates.."

Cause if you use that line with the "Students" there..oh boy dates left and right..serious!
but keep on your toes cause some "students" are not to stable in the head after a "long term internship" program if you get what I am spitting here..
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #27 of 28
You may want to look into Audiospacial (maybe that's not a word) design. As in designing spaces (public places, homes, recording booths) that channel sound properly. Someone has to do the overhead baffling, etc., in new theatres for schools and such.

Maybe i'm crazy too... We'll see.

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 28
Electrical engineering deals more with big components. Power plants, power sub stations ect. The type of degree that would be most suited to this field is a degree in electronic engineering or electronics. It is hard to find a university that offers electronic engineering, but this is more relevant because you will be dealing with capacitors, resistors, inductors, potentiometers, ect. I hope this helps. I got this advice from two engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back