audiophile in training day 1- where to start
Mar 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cjoh242

New Head-Fier
Sorry if I am beating a horse.. I know its dead already, but;

I have an iPhone 4s and an addictive personality so I want to become an audiophile starting with my iPhone. I have searched high and low and thought I would start with the Vsonic GR07's (good rating, good price point and immediately usable and won't sit on a shelf)

and I am stuck now!

I am wanting to really embrace the audiophile thing and get a portable amp, under $200 and I was thinking about the Fii0 E12 or the Fred_fred_2004’s 3 Channels Headphone Amp for just an amp. (good rating, good price point)
or
I really want to get a portable DAC/Amp, same spec, but am lost on whether I will need it to download apple lossless files to my phone or what exactly I can use the DAC for if I cannot use it on my iPhone (per the research I have done, minus of course the 399+ DAC/Amps for iPhones) thus should I just get an amp and learn about converting apps and software like Foobar2000 (which I have no idea how to use)

I know I am going to need a cable like the L9 LOD

but as far as any good threads on how to officially start the transformation process to becoming an audiophile, (baby steps first like with an iPhone before the home stereo) I have searched the part of the internet I am familiar with and only found old threads and articles. Nothing current on the best portable amps for 2014, the must have FLAC app for my phone or software for my Windows 8 PC that will allow me to start the music file convergence to lossless files. Hell, no one has even told me how to freaking do it more or less what it is!

Your help and patience is appreciated in advance and please note that I have searched the Head-Fi forums pretty thoroughly to include the getting started and I am finding nothing but old stuff or nothing at all.

If you know of a thread and can link me to it, I will do the work just point the way...

thanks again!

CJJ

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 9
Well first a few questions,

1. What are your budgets to spend on a headphone? On an Amp? Or a DAC?

2. Do you listen mostly at home? It seems like you want to have a mobile set up. Do you want to use a portable set up at home?

3. What types of music do you generally listen to?

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 9
sorry, I am sure by now you have seen that I dup posted a billion times...

to answer your question

under $200 on each piece
looking for portable with the ability to migrate to the laptop if beneficial to the iphone
and I really listen to anything that is well written instrumentally. Good levels, highs, mids and lows. Grew up loving bass (gen x'r) and metal, now I like it all...sometimes even bluegrass...but still mostly punk in the car

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 9
To add to your options, you can get a 3-in-1 DAP like the FiiO X5. It has all you will need (dac/amp/dap) and then work out what earphone/headphone to get from there.

Or you can just get an AKG K812 and plug it straight to your iPhone
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 9
wow!!! 2k, not there yeeeet(?)

however, to your point is the consensus I should spend $400 on the headphones/earphones and then worry about the DAC/AMP questions later?

if so, me needing something portable, should I get a $400 CIEM, or universals? Such a thing as a good portable on ear or over ear that is easy to travel with?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Don't do minor spending, do it once and do it right.

have a look at cypher labs duet and -dB stack. A great dac and amp combo which should satisfy you for a long time for almost all the iem/headphone in the market.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 9
I don't think that the Vsonic GR07s need a portable amp for use with an iPhone unless you are really unsatisfied with the volume. They have 105db and 50 ohm impedance. They should be fine.

So the first thing to learn is how to maximize your money by learning what matters and what doesn't. :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 9
wow!!! 2k, not there yeeeet(?)

however, to your point is the consensus I should spend $400 on the headphones/earphones and then worry about the DAC/AMP questions later?

if so, me needing something portable, should I get a $400 CIEM, or universals? Such a thing as a good portable on ear or over ear that is easy to travel with?

I would spend $130 on FiiO E12 or $200 on FiiO X3 and spend the rest on headphones like Beyers DT770 Pro 32ohm. I'm not saying this will suit your taste and/or requirements, but it certainly would suit mine.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Sorry if I am beating a horse.. I know its dead already, but;

I have an iPhone 4s and an addictive personality so I want to become an audiophile starting with my iPhone. I have searched high and low and thought I would start with the Vsonic GR07's (good rating, good price point and immediately usable and won't sit on a shelf)

and I am stuck now!

I am wanting to really embrace the audiophile thing and get a portable amp, under $200 and I was thinking about the Fii0 E12 or the Fred_fred_2004’s 3 Channels Headphone Amp for just an amp. (good rating, good price point)
or
I really want to get a portable DAC/Amp, same spec, but am lost on whether I will need it to download apple lossless files to my phone or what exactly I can use the DAC for if I cannot use it on my iPhone (per the research I have done, minus of course the 399+ DAC/Amps for iPhones) thus should I just get an amp and learn about converting apps and software like Foobar2000 (which I have no idea how to use)

I know I am going to need a cable like the L9 LOD

but as far as any good threads on how to officially start the transformation process to becoming an audiophile, (baby steps first like with an iPhone before the home stereo) I have searched the part of the internet I am familiar with and only found old threads and articles. Nothing current on the best portable amps for 2014, the must have FLAC app for my phone or software for my Windows 8 PC that will allow me to start the music file convergence to lossless files. Hell, no one has even told me how to freaking do it more or less what it is!

Your help and patience is appreciated in advance and please note that I have searched the Head-Fi forums pretty thoroughly to include the getting started and I am finding nothing but old stuff or nothing at all.

If you know of a thread and can link me to it, I will do the work just point the way...

thanks again!

CJJ

the DAC in FiiOs do not actually work with an iPod on the amp component does. The DAC only works in FiiOs with computers, hence why its still tagged as a dac/amp combo which is misleading. A portable set up on the cheap? Hmmmmmm.... I'd go with the **(Colorfly C3 and C&C BH2**, that'll give you an entry level high-res player. To really do a portable setup right you need an Apple MFA product such as the Cypherlab CLAS, which is an external DAC that works with the iPod itself, couple that with the CyherLabs Duet portable amp and wire it with toxic or alo and your ready to rock. Mind you the ipod, stand alone dac, amp, and wires is gonna run you $1500+. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back