Audiophile Headphones Under $1500
Aug 30, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #31 of 41
I just remembered, the Focal Elear is pretty affordable and would work well with those genres of music.

I had the Elear and loved it with acoustic music. But for more aggressive music, I didn't like it much. This confused me because everyone talked about it having strong dynamics, but in my experience, it was laid-back in that department. In the end, I prefer used entry-level STAX that's two or three times cheaper, with every genre.

Being heavy isn't a problem as I'd buy the $200 support cushion thing. Also, I'm looking for something more forgiving, warm, however I'd still like to hear the song almost as it was made.

You can get DIY headband add-ons that don't cost much. My LCD-X had one. But it won't fix the weight issue. It was more a problem for my back than my neck.

I see. Then I'll admit that the LCD-2F would be the better choice for that.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #32 of 41
They look great! How do they compare to the LCD 2 and 3 Fazors?

Elear is very good too. It's on par with LCD 2 and LCD 3 is an upgrade to Elear speaking strictly from a technical perspective. LCDs have a better midrange imo and Planar bass which is better in texture. Elear is dynamic so with they have better impact than Planar bass but definition is lost compared to Planars. Elear has arguably better Treble than LCD 2 if you find the LCD 2 Treble to be too dark. Soundstage wise, LCD 3 > LCD 2 = Elear

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #33 of 41
I had the Elear and loved it with acoustic music. But for more aggressive music, I didn't like it much. This confused me because everyone talked about it having strong dynamics, but in my experience, it was laid-back in that department. In the end, I prefer used entry-level STAX that's two or three times cheaper, with every genre.

You can get DIY headband add-ons that don't cost much. My LCD-X had one. But it won't fix the weight issue. It was more a problem for my back than my neck.

I see. Then I'll admit that the LCD-2F would be the better choice for that.
I'll try STAX and the LCD-2F and 3F before buying anything, my neck is pretty strong because I had problems with it earlier and I've been working on it almost daily since. I think I'll be fine with the weight

Elear is very good too. It's on par with LCD 2 and LCD 3 is an upgrade to Elear speaking strictly from a technical perspective. LCDs have a better midrange imo and Planar bass which is better in texture. Elear is dynamic so with they have better impact than Planar bass but definition is lost compared to Planars. Elear has arguably better Treble than LCD 2 if you find the LCD 2 Treble to be too dark. Soundstage wise, LCD 3 > LCD 2 = Elear
Midrange and treble are big for me, so I'll have to try them both at sometime to see which is a deal breaker. I think that the LCD3 will be nicest because of what I listen to though. Thanks so much

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #34 of 41
I'll try STAX and the LCD-2F and 3F before buying anything, my neck is pretty strong because I had problems with it earlier and I've been working on it almost daily since. I think I'll be fine with the weight

Midrange and treble are big for me, so I'll have to try them both at sometime to see which is a deal breaker. I think that the LCD3 will be nicest because of what I listen to though. Thanks so much

Are you gonna go to a meet or what?

I'm...er, slender. Heavy headphones hurt my back. My neck isn't strong, but that's not the problem area for me.

I thought your budget was $1,500 USD and you were buying new. The LCD-3 is $1,945 in the US. Might as well try the LCD-X as well, if you can.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #35 of 41
Another Electrostat to look at is the Koss ESP 950's it comes with cables and a exciter ( amp) in a nice carry case. Gives you a lot of the Stax sound but not as airy a sound as most Stax's but still good detail and not thin at all.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #36 of 41
Are you gonna go to a meet or what?

I'm...er, slender. Heavy headphones hurt my back. My neck isn't strong, but that's not the problem area for me.

I thought your budget was $1,500 USD and you were buying new. The LCD-3 is $1,945 in the US. Might as well try the LCD-X as well, if you can.
The link someone sent a while ago for Headfoneshop is in Toronto and a verified Audeze dealer, they have the LCD-X, 3, 2, and the XC, and allow you to try them out. A meet would be nice but I'm young and not sure I'd be able to get to Toronto and go to the meet alone. My parents don't know anything about audiophile stuff so I figure this store is perfect. I found the LCD 3 for $1580 near Florida so I could ship it to my grandparents if I couldn't find it anywhere else for better. My dad's already agreed with going to Toronto with me to try them out

Forgot to mention the store also has a lot of the Staxs in my budget

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #37 of 41
The link someone sent a while ago for Headfoneshop is in Toronto and a verified Audeze dealer, they have the LCD-X, 3, 2, and the XC, and allow you to try them out. A meet would be nice but I'm young and not sure I'd be able to get to Toronto and go to the meet alone. My parents don't know anything about audiophile stuff so I figure this store is perfect. I found the LCD 3 for $1580 near Florida so I could ship it to my grandparents if I couldn't find it anywhere else for better. My dad's already agreed with going to Toronto with me to try them out
A store visit is even matter because they usually have lower noise if customers are low. Enjoy your trip and do keep us updated

PS: do let your dad try, he might want in too :p

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #38 of 41

Forgot to mention the store also has a lot of the Staxs in my budget

Awesome. Let us know how things go. :upside_down:

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #39 of 41
A store visit is even matter because they usually have lower noise if customers are low. Enjoy your trip and do keep us updated

PS: do let your dad try, he might want in too :p
Of course I'll let him try! He may not understand why someone would pay $2500 for headphones but he'll try them! Schools starting soon but I'll keep nagging him to go :p

Another Electrostat to look at is the Koss ESP 950's it comes with cables and a exciter ( amp) in a nice carry case. Gives you a lot of the Stax sound but not as airy a sound as most Stax's but still good detail and not thin at all.

I'm still not sure electrostat is the way to go but I'll see! Thanks

Awesome. Let us know how things go. :upside_down:
Will do :) cant wait to try electrostatic

Thanks guys!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #40 of 41
I would suggest looking into ZMF headphones...Warm,forgiving sound,hand made wooden cups,epic bass and tone,lifetime warranty,un-paralleled customer service.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #41 of 41
I would suggest looking into ZMF headphones...Warm,forgiving sound,hand made wooden cups,epic bass and tone,lifetime warranty,un-paralleled customer service.
He wants open back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back