Audiophile grade live recordings
Feb 22, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Excuse me, but all music is recorded "live." The question is whether they are recorded at concerts or recitals. I've never heard of music recorded except from a live performance, who would record a recording?
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
icon10.gif

Sure, but when you're in the studio they record in multiple takes and splice the best parts of those takes together to get the final result. Hence, it's hardly live...
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 32
i find most of zappa's live stuff to be very well-recorded... i believe he was very hands-on with all aspects of production.

likewise, neil young is something of an audiophile, and his live albums are consistently sweet-sounding.

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Sure, but when you're in the studio they record in multiple takes and splice the best parts of those takes together to get the final result. Hence, it's hardly live...
biggrin.gif

Perhaps not unmanipulated, but still they are using live performing artists, with all of what goes into the finished product from the live performances within the studio. Actually, they will do multiple takes of individual songs or movements of classical works, and combine the best performances. Does this mean that they take parts of different takes to produce one song track? I don't think that would result in a very fluid or good track at all, but amazing things can be done editing, so I don't doubt that it can be done.

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 32
-nine inch nails- and all that could have been

-Rage against the machine- any live show, I haven't critically listened to them
to determine if they're audiophile quality, but great
content!

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #22 of 32
Welcome to the Pleasuredome - Erasure. One of the best "cough bootlegs" ever - obviously a soundboard rip onto a 2CD set. Outcry to get an "official" one done was so strong, this year they finally released that thing on DVD (The Swan the Tank, and the Balloon). But I still listen to the CD set - I can rip it to my ipod, unlike the DVD.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Excuse me, but all music is recorded "live." The question is whether they are recorded at concerts or recitals. I've never heard of music recorded except from a live performance, who would record a recording?
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
icon10.gif

First off, you are seemingly unfamiliar with techno and hip hop production. Hip hop production is rarely live instrument performance, and therefore is based on sampling or on electronic manipulation of sounds, which also brings you into lots of techno/electronic music, where it's not much newly performed music but manipulation in pitch tones and such of existing, recorded sounds.
Second, how often does an artist/group/band perform the same in concert as they do in studio? For better or for worse, their true talent is given a chance to shine, and if they are talented it comes off very nicely.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
Second, how often does an artist/group/band perform the same in concert as they do in studio?

more often than most people seem to think.. from my experiences, anyway.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
icon10.gif

LOL! That's taking it too literally. When someone says live, I think of a them playing infront of an audience, with applause at the end.
cool.gif

Why would someone want to record a recording - well - for remastering purposes, archive purposes, re-release, etc.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
more often than most people seem to think.. from my experiences, anyway.

That stinks. I hate when I go see a concert and what I hear sounds just like the record. What a bummer.

Feb 23, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
First off, you are seemingly unfamiliar with techno and hip hop production. Hip hop production is rarely live instrument performance, and therefore is based on sampling or on electronic manipulation of sounds, which also brings you into lots of techno/electronic music, where it's not much newly performed music but manipulation in pitch tones and such of existing, recorded sounds.
Second, how often does an artist/group/band perform the same in concert as they do in studio? For better or for worse, their true talent is given a chance to shine, and if they are talented it comes off very nicely.

I plead guilty to being unfamiliar with techno and hip-hop. What I gather from your post is that these genres are as much the art of the engineer or producer as the musician. The other day, while listening to Portishead (I think it was Dummy), I remarked to my friend that the percussion on the track she was playing for me was terrific. She smiled and told me that the percussion was the result of a computer program! I couldn't believe it, but perhaps, even the computer programmer creates art now. Can you count a computer program as live performance? Everytime it is turned on, it will produce the same product. At this point, I am beginning to wonder about the fact that art may be mass produced, and if it is mass produced, is it art or mere decoration? These are very serious issues and I am beginning to realize that even as the traditional ways that art is produced have changed, the ways that it is appreciated and valued may have to change as well.

It's such a relief after all of this to go to a concert hall and listen to an orchestra performing a Beethoven concerto or a Mahler symphony, it makes appreciation so easy.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

IAt this point, I am beginning to wonder about the fact that art may be mass produced, and if it is mass produced, is it art or mere decoration? These are very serious issues and I am beginning to realize that even as the traditional ways that art is produced have changed, the ways that it is appreciated and valued may have to change as well.

this was all addressed quite satisfactorily by warhol, lichtenstein, oldenberg and the rest of the pop artists way back in the 20th century. and the answer is... sure, art CAN be mass produced!
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back