"Audiophile-Grade" 230V to 110/120V Converter?
Sep 2, 2023 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, need a bit of help. I recently purchased a Viva 845 amp, but its a Euro version. I am looking for a high-quality step down transformer or converter (possibly with silver or silver-coated wiring). I see a bunch on Amazon etc, but I am not sure which ones are good, and which ones are not.

Can anyone assist? I plan on plugging in the converter to the Niagra 5000, so I should be all good on power coming into it, but I want to make sure I have good power coming out to the amp.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you thought about contacting Viva or a dealer and seeing if it can be converted?

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Have you thought about contacting Viva or a dealer and seeing if it can be converted?
I looked into it, but you have to send it to them to have it converted.

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 8
Have some one build you a transformer - the bigger the better. I have a 3500 watt converter and it has been wonderful and an upgrade over wall ac (when I tried it with equipments that have voltage switches).

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 8
I was hopefully looking to find a stand alone unit. I already have the decidated ac lines, outlets, and power conditioners. I was just wondering if there is an upgraded model that isn't an Amazon special if you know what I mean.

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Hey all, need a bit of help. I recently purchased a Viva 845 amp, but its a Euro version. I am looking for a high-quality step down transformer or converter (possibly with silver or silver-coated wiring). I see a bunch on Amazon etc, but I am not sure which ones are good, and which ones are not.

Can anyone assist? I plan on plugging in the converter to the Niagra 5000, so I should be all good on power coming into it, but I want to make sure I have good power coming out to the amp.
Hello. You need converter from 110 to 230V. If its correct what you write here. Amp from EU and you are in US. But now normaly construction are universal. Its easy to check. On primary of power transformer will be 2x115V winding. Easy to change. Because if not, producer must use product for US market separately and this now nobody do. And finaly you must increase main power fuse x2. If too difficult for you, ask producer. :wink:

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 8
Have some one build you a transformer - the bigger the better. I have a 3500 watt converter and it has been wonderful and an upgrade over wall ac (when I tried it with equipments that have voltage switches).
Does a headphone amp really require that level of power? Who would build such a converter?

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 8
No, 3.5kw is probably overkill for headphones unless you are using some class A power amp to drive your cans. I would size it at 10-15x the total max power draw of whatever you are plugging into the converter. A local electronics technician should be able to build one for you. It’s literally a huge transformer in a suitable case. A display showing output voltage would be a good add on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back