Audiophile Gaming Headset
Sep 21, 2019 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gindy

New Head-Fier
So I just joined today and I am not an audiophile just yet. But for like the past 2 weeks I've fallen into the audiophile rabbit hole. It was like a domino effect, 1 set of cans led to another. Learning about ohms and impedance, closed back vs open back, soundstage and imaging, dacs and amps, mod mics and vmoda, ect.

I've never had a pair of audiophile headphones and those are just a few things I've learned in the past two weeks and I haven't been overwhelmed just yet. The few headsets that I came across and probably overanalyzed without ever putting them on my head range from the SHP9500, X2/HR, Cooler Master MH752, 58x Jubilees, Senheiser 598s,Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 and 32 ohms, DT 240 pros and the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus.

I've really just been confusing myself for the most part, but to cut to the chase I'm looking for something I could use on a plane or just on the go connected to my phone as well with my PS4. So probably closed back or semi-closed back, so I wouldnt bother anyone around me. I'd prefer something I didn't have to use an amp with at least at the moment, might get one later.

The two I've been closest to buying is the DT 240 pros and the Custom pro plus. The DT 240s were recommended by my best friend who is an audiophile but not a gamer, I do like the sleek look of it and it seems easy to to lug around. I just havent seen anybody suggest them for gaming which has made me uncomfortable about buying them.

Thanks ahead of time if anybody makes it this far please bring an end to my misery! I've watched so many Z reviews videos it's really done my head in. Also any suggestions for mods, mics or amps would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 9
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

You need a dedicated dac/amp!, don't overlook this!, and a semi-open headphones leaks enough to bother people and they don't isolate enough to use on the go.

I don't own or tried most of the following headphones but I have a solid knowledge about them.

We don't know your budget or if you want a closed back or open or a portable setup or desktop setup or a gaming cans.

The Senheiser 599 ($160) are good for gaming and music. the 6XX ($220) are great for music but they require an amp.
The AKG 7XX ($200) are great for gaming.

If you want an "Audiophile Gaming Headset" as the title suggest I don't recommended going for closed backs for portable, hi-fi and gaming because you will not get any at this low budget.

for the dac/amp the fiio K5 pro ($150) is amazing! and I bet you can find a better deal for a dac/amp combo at this price or lower.

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

You need a dedicated dac/amp!, don't overlook this!, and a semi-open headphones leaks enough to bother people and they don't isolate enough to use on the go.

I don't own or tried most of the following headphones but I have a solid knowledge about them.

We don't know your budget or if you want a closed back or open or a portable setup or desktop setup or a gaming cans.

The Senheiser 599 ($160) are good for gaming and music. the 6XX ($220) are great for music but they require an amp.
The AKG 7XX ($200) are great for gaming.

If you want an "Audiophile Gaming Headset" as the title suggest I don't recommended going for closed backs for portable, hi-fi and gaming because you will not get any at this low budget.

for the dac/amp the fiio K5 pro ($150) is amazing! and I bet you can find a better deal for a dac/amp combo at this price or lower.

I'm probably asking for too much, might have to settle for 2 pairs of cans. But I did pull the trigger on one where it might not be considered an 'audiophile headset' but damn near ticked all the boxes. I ordered the Takstars pro 82's, closed back 32 ohms so easy to drive, gets a lot of credit in the gaming community and I hear is an overall decent sounding pair of cans. I bought a boom mic as well all for 103 CAD, which leaves room for me to buy a dac/amp right now if I wanted to.

I probably will eventually get purely audiophile headphones as well, which ones I have no clue. But as far as dac/amps go I'd need one or two that's either portable or can be used with a ps4. I've heard of the astro mixamp pro and fioo e10? I believe. My best friend actually has the 7xx and I have never heard anything that sounded that good in my life! Probably the only pair I've put on for more than two minutes outside a shop.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 9
the e10 is good but I don't know if it will work with the ps4, still my vote for the fiio k5 pro

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back