audiophile closed headphone or in ear ?
Oct 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fillemon

Head-Fier
hello everybody

i listen headphones hours a day, but i live in a noisy place. So i need to give up my akg k500 for something else. Beside that i have to cranck up the volume for hearing the details with the akg k500.

So what should i buy, a big headphone or an in ear one ?

i tend to buy a big headphone, it looks like they will be there over 10 years, while a small in ear might be more prone to wear ?

when it comes down to a closed model, i think i will go with a denon 5000

an in ear ? i just don't know yet.

but what about confort ? wearing those in ear things for 8 hours in a row ? and those small short cables not really my taste. i know that when i comes down to blocking noise out, the in ear's will win

So what is your opinion on this topic ;
please give some info about your experience

thanks

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 8
Tell us what kinds of music you're going to listen, and which is your price range. It'll make easier for other fellows to point out good options for you.

As a starting point, I can make 2 suggestions (up to $100):
  1. Ultrasone HFI-550: have a fun sound signature, with plenty of punch to the bass, while retaining great clearness to the sound (no muffled mids due to mid-bass hump). Closed, isolate quite well but aren't very comfortable for long periods. They don't need an amp and can be found for around $100 (got mine for $115 a few months ago);
  2. dbi Pro700: a more neutral sound signature, but still have plenty of impact to the bass. Also very clear and clean sounding. They're very comfortable in comparison with the above cans from Ultrasone. Built like tanks, they can take a beat (my first pair has an armored cable, which is a tad heavy and may get in the way sometimes). You can find them for around $30 + S&H off eBay and, for that price, they're a steal.

Above $100:
  1. Ultrasone HFI-780: overall same great sound as the HFI-550, but very improved. Kind of flashy for outdoor use (silver cups). Same comfort issues. Can be found for $200 ~ $250;
  2. Futuresonic Atrio M5/M8: my in-ear monitors. Overall great sound with great bass. Can be found for $149 ~ $189. Seem poorly built, but are robust enough for normal daily wear and tear. Not very comfortable for long periods. Sometimes getting a good seal may be kind of hard, but I like them very much.
Since I still don't know the answers about music and price range, these suggestions may not be the best for your needs. Both headphones above play rock, metal, r'n'b and electronic music very well. Don't know about other genres.

Oct 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell us what kinds of music you're going to listen, and which is your price range. It'll make easier for other fellows to point out good options for you.

X2

I own the D2000 and the noise isolation and blockage is not what you would expect from a closed can. You would get a little more than the K500, but still the volume would be cranked.

I own a pair of Shure SE210 and I can't wear them for more than 2 hours before the ears get painful. There may be some more comfortable IEM options out there, but I'm not the guy to know.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 8
@Almoxil

i listen to a lot of styles but no techo, no metal. I like very much acoustic music, or small combo's, but also pop and rock.
well here are some things i have been listing today (ane brun, john martyn, alison goldfrapp, diana krall, zappa, marissa nadler, grace jones...: i'll think you get the picture.) (and i like a k500 a lot: it has not that much bass but i don't care).

The price: well i'm willing to spend a lot of money on a decent headphone, my k500 is 10 years old, so the next one will have to do another 10 years. i certainly need the quality of the k500, but i need more detail and to be more sealed off, so that i can listing at low level with all the details i need.
max price: 400-500 dollar

i have also been thinking about the stax 005 (what do you think ?)

ps: i have a headphone amp, (a ck2III)

@mgrewe
i have seen that the 1000 and 2000 do not a good job in sealing, but the 5000 might be better (i don't know).
mm, you also can't wear those ear-canal things more than 2 hours i will let them go.

so i'm on the big full blown headphones.

ps: comfort is a big issue, i need over the ears headphones.

thanks guys for the information

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 8
AD2000X, AD1000X?

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fillemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Almoxil

i listen to a lot of styles but no techo, no metal. I like very much acoustic music, or small combo's, but also pop and rock.
well here are some things i have been listing today (ane brun, john martyn, alison goldfrapp, diana krall, zappa, marissa nadler, grace jones...: i'll think you get the picture.) (and i like a k500 a lot: it has not that much bass but i don't care).

The price: well i'm willing to spend a lot of money on a decent headphone, my k500 is 10 years old, so the next one will have to do another 10 years. i certainly need the quality of the k500, but i need more detail and to be more sealed off, so that i can listing at low level with all the details i need.
max price: 400-500 dollar

i have also been thinking about the stax 005 (what do you think ?)

ps: i have a headphone amp, (a ck2III)
[...]

Well, in that price range I've only listened to my ATH-AD2000. They've got great sound, but their bass never satisfied me (even amped). Besides, they're open.

Maybe some closed Audio Technicas in your price range, or Beyers. I'm sure people will chime in with great options for your needs. About the Stax, sorry, but I don't have any experience with them.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 8
It sounds like the main considerations are isolation, comfort and sound quality, rather than portability. If that's the case, I would go with isolating full-sized closed earphones instead of IEMs.

I owned the D5000, and like the 1001 and 2000, it won't isolate well enough to make a big difference in the level you use. Based on my experience with the W1000, neither will the big AT woodies, although something like an ESW9 might get the job done.

Ultrasones also are closed with very good isolation, but I haven't liked the Ultrasones I've heard.

My bet for isolation and sound quality (although keeping in mind that I have no experience with the portable Audio-Technicas, e.g. ESW9/10) is the Shure SRH840.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 8
thanks guys for the info

to clear some things up; i don't value portability a single bit. so i'm very much willing to go with big cans, also the headphone amp is always on, so even power hungry cans are no problem.

well i don't know how much isolation i need, the k500 are fully open, so that is to much, a full closed can like the D5000 might be enough, a very good sealing can might be to much, if i wear a sealed headphone a whole day i might get crazy.

at this moment i need more sealing and more detail in the sound. i like to listen at low levels, and i want all the details to be hearable. (that's actually what i need)

i have looked up the SRH840, they should sound very very good at low levels, a lot of details... (the review mentioned he liked them more then the grado 1000 and the hd650). quite interesting (never gave shure a thought)

thanks, i'll put it on the list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back