Audiophile cables, an interesting question.
Apr 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #481 of 1,186

As I mentioned earlier (I think it was in this thread at least), the difference in conductivity between a 13AWG copper wire and a 14AWG copper wire is something like 5 times larger than the difference in conductivity between a 14AWG silver wire and a 14AWG copper wire.

Someone did the work for me. Thanks man! 

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #482 of 1,186
If they had solid state technology that basically solved all of their problems with audio fidelity, they would probably move on to psychoacousics and multi-channel sound (much like Bell Labs).

And of course Western Electric was the manufacturing arm of AT&T, and Bell Labs it's research arm. One big happy family.

se

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #483 of 1,186
Someone is a lil jelly monster... Do I have to call the jelly police on you?  Perhaps the jelly academy is taking new students.

Oh yeah! I go to bed at night and dream of owning audio equipment that has audible distortion and coloration... I'm green with envy of those who spend large amounts of cash on complete boondoggles. I wish I could be taken advantage of by high end stereo salesmen too!

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #485 of 1,186
Why does there seem to be an entirely different set of rules in the Sound Science forum than everywhere else on head-fi?  It wouldn't have taken 10% of these posts to get the poster swatted down if science were the topic of discussion on virtually any other forum here.

As stated previously herbie, your posts belong elsewhere on head-fi.  You should move them there because frankly, you're in way over your head here or are simply trolling.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #488 of 1,186
Oh my gosh! Will you look at that! A Western Electric transistor! How can that be?

se

Probably Photoshopped
tongue.gif
.  We all know that the old time engineers would have rejected modern technology and the gains it has brought.....  or not.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #489 of 1,186
Dude its just different strokes for different folks, that's all. I shared my opinion like yours.

All opinions are not created equal. Some of them are informed, and some of them are completely incorrect.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #491 of 1,186
Oh my gosh! Will you look at that! A Western Electric transistor! How can that be?

se

Nice!  Here is a whole page.  They even came in nice boxes.

https://sites.google.com/site/transistorhistory/Home/us-semiconductor-manufacturers/western-electric

You also can get them on ebay.  Perfect for building those homebrew SS amps from real men with real engineering know how. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #493 of 1,186
WOW. I first was pitched on the Monster Cable 3 strand thickness BS in 1984. They are unquestionably much better marketers than scientists or engineers. The primary reason that changing  cables offers "improved sound" (aside from the purchase bias) is that the contacts are cleaned in the process. I've also had a small sample space test of cleaning the contacts of everything plugable and all switch contacts. Nothing was changed. All items that were unplugged (semi-conductors and tubes) were replaced in the same sockets. All wiring was re-connected. The difference was quite audible to people familiar with the equipment and music. Without their knowledge.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #495 of 1,186
  That takes the point of an opinion away... 

No that is the point actually.  An uninformed opinion is worth nothing or perhaps worth less than nothing except to the person holding the opinion.  Holding an incorrect uninformed opinion leads to incorrect choices or limited ability to make progress or understand things.  That is your problem.  Your audio opinions are relatively uninformed.  You think a wide experience validates those opinions.  But they are still wrong and narrow minded. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back