Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey
Feb 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #91 of 466
Quote:
Just to add to the point, after so many years of honestly and truly believing that Zu really transformed my HD650 into something brighter and more detailed, I've decided to run a series of tests against stock cable just to see if there is any significant difference to warrant updating LCD-2 cable.
Shocking and rude awakening. After numerous switching back and forth on the same track I could not pick any difference, same level of details and same brightness with Zu as with stock cable.
Sometimes stock sounded a touch better, sometimes Zu, relistening and scrutinizing the same short passage where I thought I could hear the difference revealed nothing, same exact sound. So mad at myself for being so close minded all these years.
mad.gif

Read this:

http://en.goldenears.net/1414

http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1921

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #93 of 466
Please don't kill this thread! I want to die when people quote themselves and starts debates on cables. Horrible, we read this to enjoy not save cash. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #94 of 466
Quote:
By the way, this thread is just like what I would do, lots of jokes and art!!! One does not simply... create a thread without humor.

Thanks Neo. I wanted to make it more personal and funny, in a form of impressions or stories, not professional reviews where certain steps must must be taken and rules must be applied. 

Please don't kill this thread! I want to die when people quote themselves and starts debates on cables. Horrible, we read this to enjoy not save cash. 

Thanks Milerpa. 

I will tell you my personal impressions when I receive the cable. If its placebo and I'm happy with it, who cares? :))

Even Tyll believes in cables, even if he cannot show the improvements through measurements. If you cannot prove it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it is not there. One thing is for sure: the fact that you do not know how to prove it, but that is all.

I, personally don't believe it to be placebo, but do not cast aside the possibility. I will try to be more skeptical when I try it 
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #95 of 466
Who cares if it's placebo or not. If it makes you feel better then it's money well spent :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #96 of 466
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that James 
redface.gif
 . Everytime I hear a fellow headfier selling his audio stuff unwillingly, makes me extremely sad, as I know the time, passion and even feelings put into it. However I am happy you got back on your feet and got remarried as these things are more important than a hobby. However, I am sure that you will regain your audio-nirvana. I wish you good luck in all your endeavours!

I see you already have a 595 and fiio combo. That's a good restart. I use the e17 and the k550 at work and I am really happy with it! I consider the K550 to be in the entry audiophile level and it pairs extremely well with the e17. I also had the 595 a few years ago and liked it a lot.

Sorry, I've only just noticed you'd replied to this!

Yes, I'm loving my '595s. I've had them about 6 months now and use them whenever I can use open 'phones. I'm enjoying my new journey - previously I only used headphones as a last resort (even in my office, I had a vintage Fisher tube amp and Rogers 'speakers) so It's an adventure in new sounds. Nothing I currently own sounds bad to me, but they're all different. (sadly my HD-25s probably now get the least "head-time" but I've had them for so long, I could never sell them. They're part of the family).

One day, I hope to at least hear some high-end 'phones and I really hope that I don't hear huge differences in quality - if those £2k 'phones are really worth the extra over my used bargains then my wallet will be in trouble (and my wife might leave me)
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #97 of 466
This article is very good: http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1301

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #98 of 466
Quote:
Thanks, there is another one (more enlightening imho), from the same site
http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1301

Thank you for the articles.

Quote:
This article is very good: http://en.goldenears.net/KB_Columns/1301

As you can see, that article has already been mentioned above :) 

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #99 of 466
Quote:

Sorry, I've only just noticed you'd replied to this!

Yes, I'm loving my '595s. I've had them about 6 months now and use them whenever I can use open 'phones. I'm enjoying my new journey - previously I only used headphones as a last resort (even in my office, I had a vintage Fisher tube amp and Rogers 'speakers) so It's an adventure in new sounds. Nothing I currently own sounds bad to me, but they're all different. (sadly my HD-25s probably now get the least "head-time" but I've had them for so long, I could never sell them. They're part of the family).

One day, I hope to at least hear some high-end 'phones and I really hope that I don't hear huge differences in quality - if those £2k 'phones are really worth the extra over my used bargains then my wallet will be in trouble (and my wife might leave me)
wink.gif

You don't have to go 2k(just for headphones) to have a great sound :) You could try the HD650 or HD600 and you can get them quite cheap if you find a good second hand deal 
biggrin.gif
. I loved the sound of HD650 .

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #100 of 466
Feb 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #101 of 466
Quote:

You don't have to go 2k(just for headphones) to have a great sound :) You could try the HD650 or HD600 and you can get them quite cheap if you find a good second hand deal 
biggrin.gif
. I loved the sound of HD650 .

Those are certainly on my list, along with an amp upgrade to something like an M-Stage.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #103 of 466
Quote:
By the way, what version is the LCD 2 up to? How bout the LCD 3? I don't want to be the only fool with outdated 1K-2K cans, that's for dam sure!!

LCD-2 rev2 (in bamboo or rosewood, both with upgraded black-coloured angled connectors)
LCD-3 (manufactured after March 2012, or RMA'd)

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #104 of 466
Great thread Dan, si salutari din Singapore. :)

I have to echo the suggestion of a previous poster - give Stax a try if you have the chance and then of course, blog about it - we want to hear your impressions. Reading your thread made me want to look around for upgrades as well - but realistically I'm at the stage where the most benefits would come from a better, higher quality music library - my current Stax setup makes 95% of my library sound bad.

Feb 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #105 of 466
Quote:
Great thread Dan, si salutari din Singapore. :)

I have to echo the suggestion of a previous poster - give Stax a try if you have the chance and then of course, blog about it - we want to hear your impressions. Reading your thread made me want to look around for upgrades as well - but realistically I'm at the stage where the most benefits would come from a better, higher quality music library - my current Stax setup makes 95% of my library sound bad.

Thank you Andrei.

For now Staxes are to expensive, but if I have the chance I will listen to them of course 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back