Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey
Aug 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #316 of 466
Quote:
I kinda envy your relationship to gear and music, some of it being placebo or not 
size]

:)) DarKu has been at my place and he listened to msb too. He was skeptical as you were (actually a few days before having the msb, hell, even I was skeptical). Let's just say he needed a cigar after he listened to it :))

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #317 of 466
duplicate

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #318 of 466
Thinking it's placebo is probably healthier (at least for the wallet) than hearing some of this stuff.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #320 of 466
Now, I am not exactly a subjectivist after all, so I barely trust myself unless differences are clear to me when directly comparing. That's kinda where I set my limit for my spending on this hobby. I'd believe anyone can perceive differences between cables. I can, but still I don't believe in what I hear, cuz I wouldn't be able to hear it when comparing blindly.. Same partially with DAC's, but that is more of a grey area to me. The mind really boggles me..
I don't blame those who trust their ears (mind), perfectly fine with me as long as we remember the ever so important IMO 
size]

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #321 of 466
Quote:
Now, I am not exactly a subjectivist after all, so I barely trust myself unless differences are clear to me when directly comparing. That's kinda where I set my limit for my spending on this hobby. I'd believe anyone can perceive differences between cables. I can, but still I don't believe in what I hear, cuz I wouldn't be able to hear it when comparing blindly.. Same partially with DAC's, but that is more of a grey area to me. The mind really boggles me..
I don't blame those who trust their ears (mind), perfectly fine with me as long as we remember the ever so important IMO 
size]

I usually upgrade when I hear the differences as night and day too. And unfortunately this was one of the moments. And again unfortunately my wallet gave me a  "index out of bounds" exception :))

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #322 of 466
Some of us might have a better hearing :-/

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #323 of 466
Quote:
Some of us might have a better hearing :-/

I did an audiogram 2 weeks ago after I had otitis external. It seems that indeed I have almost perfect hearing (near zero db).

I just know that HD800 scaled incredibly with the MSB Analog Dac.

In a few days I have to return it....The horror :))

I imagine in the papers:

"Dan Gheorghe, a trustworthy guy, respected by his friends because of his general correctitude, teaching assistant and phd. student at one of the major universities in Bucharest, has cracked and fallen into temptation. He ran with the MSB Analog Dac. 

There have been 2 weeks already since nobody heard anything from him." 

"After another week, finnally Jack traced the msb and Dan with it. He was found in a deserted basement. He only had a chair, the msb and the headphone system. He hadn't eaten for days and had a beard covering his face. He couldn't say anything else but "msb....msb...it is mine...it must be mine".

And so, the first Audiophile Detox clinic has been established in Romania.  After a month he was clean again. 

However some people say they can still hear him sometime say : "....msb" ".

(just kidding, don't worry :)) )

Btw.. does anybody want my Audeze LCD2? :D http://www.head-fi.org/t/676697/audeze-lcd-2-2-bamboo-mint-condition

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #324 of 466
Quote:

I have done one other interesting test with my Burson Soloist (amp section from my Conductor) and Dragonfly and  used the Dragonfly as Dac with Burson Soloist and Audeze LCD2.
I can say I was amazed of the results :

I am newbie and I am curious - DF and Burson are both amp/dac combo, how can you use DF as DAC and Burson as amplifier? 

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #325 of 466
Aug 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #326 of 466
Quote:
I used something like this from dragonfly 3.5 jack out to burson rca in.

Burson can be used just as dac and amp separately.

Thanks for the prompt reply man. I know there's cable like that to connect dragonfly and your awesome burson, but I am not sure how you can use only the DAC of the DF --- Is that because of the order? 

If it goes this way, 
Computer --> Dragonfly --> Burson -->headphone, then Dragonfly will serve as DAC only, and Burson will serve as amp only?

PS really like your post! That's what got me into this new world!

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #327 of 466
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply man. I know there's cable like that to connect dragonfly and your awesome burson, but I am not sure how you can use only the DAC of the DF --- Is that because of the order? 

No problem .

If it goes this way, 
Computer --> Dragonfly --> Burson -->headphone, then Dragonfly will serve as DAC only, and Burson will serve as amp only?

PS really like your post! That's what got me into this new world!

You are correct as dragonfly's 3.5 jack out works as dac out too, from what I know.

Thank you. I am really glad when I convince someone to join this hobby!!! It is one of the reasons I started the blog.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #328 of 466
No problem .

You are correct as dragonfly's 3.5 jack out works as dac out too, from what I know.

Thank you. I am really glad when I convince someone to join this hobby!!! It is one of the reasons I started the blog.

When you convince someone to start this hobby you are potentially costing them thousands of pounds. No... you are CERTAINLY costing them thousands of pounds :D

Nice blog though. I didn't know it was you until you sent me that PM last week.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #329 of 466
Quote:
When you convince someone to start this hobby you are potentially costing them thousands of pounds. No... you are CERTAINLY costing them thousands of pounds
biggrin.gif

Nice blog though. I didn't know it was you until you sent me that PM last week.

Thank you Tony :D 

It is an expensive hobby, but there are many as expensive or more expensive than this like : photography, tvs, video projectors & video in general, cars, bikes (yes .. bikes, high end bikes that it), etc

One of the reasons I started this blog is to get more people to understand this hobby better. 

People look at a great tv and say...yes...i could spend 1k, 2k on this, but when they see a 500$ headphone they think..."what??? 500$ on a pair of headphones?!?! "

The pleasure returned from headphones can be the same or surpas the pleasure got from the tv.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #330 of 466
I totally agree. I'm a cyclist. Not as keen now as I was a couple of years ago perhaps, but I am very well acquainted with the cost of bikes, accessories, clothing etc. You could buy a very good headphone amp for the same price as a waterproof jacket. I know, I've done it. In fact, I have a bike that is worth about the same as the very best headphone systems. Cycling is a very expensive activity - especially if you frequent Internet forums :)

The thing I find most difficult to reconcile about this hobby is the lack of benefit derived from the heavy spending. With cycling you're improving your health, getting outdoors, being active, meeting people etc. This hobby (or addiction) feels more like self-indulgence sometimes. The buyer's remorse only vanishes when you sit down to listen to what you've assembled.

But yes, I'd find it far easier to justify spending 2k on a headphone system than on a television. I suppose you've got to look at it from all angles and, to dramatise a little, there'll be many within these forums who face the same internal struggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back