Audiophile Bayonet Mount Tonearms?
Dec 13, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1200 was originally also supplied as the 120 without an arm so there is an arm mount section which can easily be removed and replaced. The black metal recessed part around the bottom of the arm can be unscrewed and the whole thing lifted off.

You would then need a blank replacement which you would cut to the pattern of your choosing with the alignment template that is sold with a tonearm, basically telling you the shape of the hole and how far away it needs to be from the spindle.

To make life simpler soundsupports on ebay supply blanks and precut Rega and SME pattern mounts SME MOUNT PLATE FOR TECHNICS 150 1500 1510 TURNTABLES. on eBay, also Turntable Parts Accessories, Turntables, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 13-Dec-07 19:50:08 GMT)

Also Origin Live supply a precut mount for their arms which are Rega pattern High performance dj armboard for technics dj turntables and full documentation on how to go about it as well.

It's a simple procedure which takes no more than 1 hour.

Great, thanks for the info. Looks like I might have a project over Christmas break if I can find some good prices.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 19
I have just bought a sansui sr 525 and it has the S shaped tone arm.I am looking into buying a Jelco SA-250 S shaped tone arm,but I am wondering if Rega has a better S shaped arm.I have never switched tone arms before.If the stock arm is of great quality,will it be worth replacing?I thought about going with a strait arm but I would rather just stay with the S shape style.Suggestions anyone? LL

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 19
What is the Sansui's plinth made of? it looks like some sort of plastic composite? in which case unless the Jelco arm has exactly the same geometry as the Sansui ( ie spindle to pivot distance ) then it's probably not worth it as you would need to get some sort of mounting plate made and cut a hole for this into the plinth or screw it on somehow.

Rega did make an S shaped arm called the RB200 which came on the early decks like the Planet and Planar 2 and 3 prior to 1982. This was actually just an OEM arm sourced from Acos in Japan, which was what most tonearms in those days were at the lower end of the market, prior to the all conquering RB250/300. It's not bad by any means and probably not 100 miles away from the Jelco anyway. The main thing that the more modern Japanese arms would have over it is superior wiring so that's the standard upgrade.

The existing Sansui arm looks pretty good too so it may be a simpler option to just rewire it as long as it's bearings are sound.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the Sansui's plinth made of? it looks like some sort of plastic composite? in which case unless the Jelco arm has exactly the same geometry as the Sansui ( ie spindle to pivot distance ) then it's probably not worth it as you would need to get some sort of mounting plate made and cut a hole for this into the plinth or screw it on somehow.

Rega did make an S shaped arm called the RB200 which came on the early decks like the Planet and Planar 2 and 3 prior to 1982. This was actually just an OEM arm sourced from Acos in Japan, which was what most tonearms in those days were at the lower end of the market, prior to the all conquering RB250/300. It's not bad by any means and probably not 100 miles away from the Jelco anyway. The main thing that the more modern Japanese arms would have over it is superior wiring so that's the standard upgrade.

The existing Sansui arm looks pretty good too so it may be a simpler option to just rewire it as long as it's bearings are sound.

The plinth looks to be made of cabinet grade MFD board with plastic lamnet.I guess rewiring would be the most econmical since the S shaped arms are basically the same as far as the geometry is concerned.The arm goes back and forth without any roughness or resistance so everythings fine with that arm. OK,now I know and thanks again.LL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back