Audiologists
Mar 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
How much does an audiologist usually cost, to see how my hearing performs?

I hope not that much, and by not that much, not over 20 dollars.. I don't have health insurance due to my layoff a year ago and STILL can't get even a call back from jobs.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 5
I do not recall what my audiologist charged, but it was more than $20. I do have some ideas. First, some Costco stores have a hearing aid section and I believe that they also do hearing tests. I know of more than one person who has had a good experience at Costco. Also, you might have a school of audiology in your area and they may have a sliding fee clinic as part of the training opportunity for their students. They are supervised by bona fide audiologists so it may work out OK. Finally, and this is a bit of a long shot, many areas have federal Community Health Centers that provide all sorts o primary care. I do not recall if that includes audiology but I suspect not. Still, it may be worth a shot.

Good luck in your job search. It is scarce consolation that you are not alone. One suggestion. If you are getting interviews and not getting call backs, if you have not already done so, you might want to call the interviewer or their HR person and ask for feedback. People do, in general, want to be helpful and you may get some useful information that will help you in subsequent interviews. The information may be helpful, but it also may be difficult to hear. I do not know of anybody who like hearing what is not working, but the information will give you an enhanced ability to be successful in the future. I would also look up behavioral interviews, which are currently in vogue, and get a sense of what they are and what you can do to present well given the structure. Finally, and this is hard, I hope that you can stay positive and calm during this trying process. Exercise helps, as does journalling and meditation. These things do not change your environment, but it may make you more effective in dealing with this difficult time.

Sorry for rambling, but maybe it will help.

Barry

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmd8x28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much does an audiologist usually cost, to see how my hearing performs?

I hope not that much, and by not that much, not over 20 dollars.. I don't have health insurance due to my layoff a year ago and STILL can't get even a call back from jobs.

How accurate do you need it to be? If you just want to get a vague idea of what your range is and see if there are any problem areas, you can download a demo version of NCH Tone Generator and do one yourself.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 5
That program didn't really do what I wanted to do.

Like the previous thread that did a loudness to frequency test, I want one done professionally at an audiologist..

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Just call one up and ask.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back