AudioLineOut Cryo Dock Review
Aug 10, 2006 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a very occasional poster but something of a lurker on this forum. Like many here, I’ve been sucked into the upgrade cycle, often with mixed results. I recently took delivery on AudioLineOut’s newest Jena Wire Cryo Dock and this time the hype has proven more than true, so I thought I’d post a review.

I’ve been using a 30mb 5G ipod, all files in Apple lossless, using the headphone out with an average quality mini-to-mini connector to a HeadRoom Total BitHead amp powering Westone UM2 IER’s. I listen to blues, acoustic guitar and classic rock and pop in the gym, 2 to 3 hours per day. This setup has proven pretty good, although a bit bulky.

So, giving in to the siren call of fellow travelers on this site, I started reading about the sonic benefits of using a line out into my amp. As a long time home audiophile of sorts and a cable junky to boot, I figured I’d give it a go. Knowing nothing about where to go and what to get, I read through some posts and kept hearing good things about Ken Ball(Cletus Bocephust) and AudioLineOut. I first went to the website and thought the products looked good, then contacted Ken Ball to get his recommendation. Since my need is for something very portable and much more robust then a home or office user would require, Ken recommended the new Cryo Dock both for its sonic purity as well as its flexibility. At almost 2X the cost of the Bling Bling, I blanched at first, but then figured I’d only buy this once so I might as well start at the top. I added a right angle connection and you can see a photo of my dock here: http://www.audiolineout.com/cryo.html

First, construction, fit and finish are well in line with the cost of this product. It looks and feels solid as a rock, beautifully done. The cable is indeed very flexible and the connections to my ipod and amp feel quite bullet proof.

So, how does it sound? I wasn’t prepared for the difference this dock makes, this was not a subtle upgrade! Before the dock music, seemed pretty good, nice detail, good frequency extremes, pleasant. After the change it was as if the bands themselves had taken up residence in my head. I didn’t think it was possible to get a real soundstage with real imaging into a portable system. Whereas before I had two distinct sound sources, one in each ear, now I have a seamless panorama that exists independent of either ear. For years (and years!) I’ve used the Allman Brothers song “One Way Out” off Eat A Peach, recorded live. On my very high-end home system I know what is going on, but I hadn’t ever heard these things on a portable. Now I can clearly hear both drum sets, I can “see” them on the stage, I can tell Dicky Betts is standing in front of and to the right of the drums and Duane Allman is in front of and to the left of both the drums and the bass player. I can watch as the guitarists move around on stage. Phenomanal!

Levels of detail I had never in heard in music I’ve been listening to for nearly 20 years have recently been exposed. But, this isn’t just hi-fi spectacular. Much more is how musical this set up is. Everything is so clear and relaxed, glare and harshness have just vanished, music blooms and simply fills my head. That fatiguing sense I’d sometimes get after listening with IEM’s after 3 hours is just gone, no strain, no grit, just pure music.

I have to attribute all of this change to the Cryo Dock since everything else in my system is unchanged and has been stable for a couple months. Now, I’ll add here that I am expecting my new Westone custom fitted EM2’s in a week and I have ordered a Xin SuperMicro, then I’ll be done (he said!).

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Ken Ball’s service. Mine was the first right angle connection he had put on a Cryo Dock, so it was a special order. I also paid by check. With all that I had my order in less than a week after placing the order. Way too easy!

So, worth the money? Depends, how much do you like music and how much can you afford? For me, music is VERY important and I talked myself into spending the dough. Of all the upgrades I’ve done – amp, IEM’s, cables, etc. – this has made the most significant improvement in my system. For that I say cheap at any price.

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Watch out for that fireball! take cover! night and day difference claims on cables is bound to start a flame war!
cool.gif
Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying your new setup, however don't forget that you have also switched from HO to LO. That in itself makes a big diff!

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 4
Finally, an in-depth review about the Cryo dock! Thanks for posting it!

Sadly for me, I aspired to get the dock, but my parents say it's a waste of money and even worse, they asked my private music teacher (who loves Monster Cable and Bose) about it, and he foolishly said that "at that price, I expect it to cook me dinner and wash the dishes."

Now it's even a possible "no" if I want to get even the Bling Bling dock.

Hell, I'm thinking of signing up for my own credit card now because of this hobby
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Finally, an in-depth review about the Cryo dock! Thanks for posting it!

Sadly for me, I aspired to get the dock, but my parents say it's a waste of money and even worse, they asked my private music teacher (who loves Monster Cable and Bose) about it, and he foolishly said that "at that price, I expect it to cook me dinner and wash the dishes."

Now it's even a possible "no" if I want to get even the Bling Bling dock.

Hell, I'm thinking of signing up for my own credit card now because of this hobby
rolleyes.gif

Truthfully, I'd side with your parents - this is not to say that I don't believe in the benefit of recabling; I do, when it comes to headphones (I've A/B'd many), I've heard the difference easily. I can't say the same WRT to IC's. I've tried solid silver, starquad, Neutrik gold connectors, 4 braid, 3 braid, canare F-12's, etc., etc., etc. Truth be told, for the most part, cabling is a little bit of snake oil. Most systems and ears can't reliably tell the difference b/w silver, long crystal copper, and the standard copper, silver coated copper, et al. I'll bet upgraditis is hitting you and you are falling for the bling-bling (no pun intended). Based on your sig, IMO your gear won't really benefit from cryo/blings/silk/cotton or any other magical aural potion you'll find on the web. [collects buckets of water for the flame war that is to ignite
very_evil_smiley.gif
]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back