Audiolab 8200CD + 8200CDQ
Sep 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 14
I read it got 5 Stars in What Hi-Fi and on pair with Cyrus CD6se and Roksan Kandy K2.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 14
hmph, pity I forgot about this one. Looks interesting... http://www.audiolab.co.uk/Manuals/8200CDQ%20manual.PDF also a HP amp. and a nice price tag ( £899.95) ...except by the time it gets to Australia, it's AU$2000 :D. Pity, I liked the selectable digital filter as well.

Does anyone remember what the deal with the sabre chip was - some sort of problems with different dacs using it, etc? Does that affect this device as well?

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 14
lol, I found it fascinating that in the 24p manual aside from mentioning the HP out on the front panel pic and listing it as a connection point on p7, no other info was given. Not the power outputs/impedances, no noise specs ,nothing... And their site contact form is broken

and http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1296441&postcount=1792 that sounds like sabre chip problems and needing to return it to UK to fix it (fw update not 'user-manageable')

and >JohnW has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
lol...

May 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 14
I just ordered one of these.  Will take a couple weeks to arrive.  Hopefully it doesn't disappoint and comes with the latest firmware which adds a few more filters and bug fixes.  Lots of features, inputs, great SQ, (from pro reviews anyways) and the price seems good.  I'm in Canada which has a distributor.

May 29, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 14
I just ordered one of these.  Will take a couple weeks to arrive.  Hopefully it doesn't disappoint and comes with the latest firmware which adds a few more filters and bug fixes.  Lots of features, inputs, great SQ, (from pro reviews anyways) and the price seems good.  I'm in Canada which has a distributor.

and hopefully the distributor replies to emails, unlike the Australian one who answered the initial ones (do they have it in stock), but then ignored all the rest (firmware,hp out specs, etc)

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 14
I bought the 8200CD BTW.  Went through a local dealer.  I can return it if I'm not satisfied.  They'll just put it up as demo unit.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 14
I bought the 8200CD BTW.  Went through a local dealer.  I can return it if I'm not satisfied.  They'll just put it up as demo unit.

any inclination to show us the pic of the HP amp section inside ? and/or perhaps an indication how well it goes with low impedance and/or high impedance headphones :) ?

ps hmm wait, I can't remember whether CD actually has a HP section :frowning2:

pss hmm, the contact form is still dead on their site

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 14
ah, nevermind, had a reply from the Aus distributor and nudging them:

(info about CDQ)

a) Did you guys end up having and subsequently fixing ES sabre chip problems with I2S and USB? Do units purchased through distributors need to be sent back to UK to reflash and fix it? (there are indications that there are problems with the ES chips on various forums and that people had to send their units back to UK to fix them)

Sabre is not without its quirks, however there was never a problem with I2S and Sabre itself has nothing to do with USB. Either way, bugs in Sabre cannot be fixed by software as they are in hard silicon and there is no will from ESS to issue new chips with fixes for common ailments.

**Since the release we have not a had a issue with the Sabre chips here in Australia. There will be future firmware updates available at a price TBD.

eeeeh? (bolded bit) I was under an impression they're free in UK and judging by the firmware update log posted on head-fi (attached) not infrequent and sometimes fix important issues/sometimes add features...

b) What sort of a HP amp circuit is used and what are the power outputs at different impedances, along with THD+N? (and whatever happened to including that in the manual?)

Headphone amp has the exact same specifications as analogue preamp - it is the same output that is relay switched either to headphone jack or rear panel outputs. It is a discrete Class A stage that starts to current limit past 100mA. The stage drives 50 Ohm loads without detectable rise in THD, so the THD+N figure is essentially the unbalanced SNR figure. Maximum voltage swing is about 5Vrms. Maximum power will be limited by current limit for low impedance phones and by voltage swing on high impedance ones - easy to work out for specific impedance multiplying voltage by current.

and a confirmation that the unit's USB is not galvanically isolated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back