Audiolab 8000A
Jan 5, 2006 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
There are a few units of this classic amp which are modded (exactly what I don't know, have to investigate). I'm trying to get into a reasonable speaker setup and I was always curious about the Audiolab 8000A. Anyone have experiences with this amp? My research into the newer variant of the 8000S shows that it is more of a laid back amp which isn't exactly my style.

The price is around USD 400 give or take and depending on the mods too.

Any opinions on the above amp?

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 5
I've owned it for 10 or 12 years....

It is a good little amp that drove my Spica TC 60's for a long time...poor combination actually unless one is strictly a jazz listener! It is soon to be my office amp to drive a pair of Spendor S3e's.

Here's my impression: Absolutely forward leaning (almost the opposite of what you have heard)...Excellent phono stage for the class...great flexibility...A/B speaker outs, tape 1 and 2, record out, pre out, headphone jack (not very good honestly).

The only thing to say that is bad is that the RCA caps come loose and constantly need to be plugged back in. It is impossible to pull an interconnect off without yanking the cap off...no big deal unless you are constantly changing components or wires. I can't say that it adversley effects sound quality, but annoying none the less.

It is a perfect office amp for solid state...or for someone on a tight budget that needs a phono stage...I think they can be had for $200 to $250 used.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 5
I already have a phono stage.

The vibe I get is the 8000A is a clinical and honest amp. I'm on a tight budget and I think anything is better then my Onkyo AV amplifier (its not even mine!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 5
Get a NAD power amp, you wont be dissapointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back