Audiolab 6000CDT dedicated CD Transport
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #16 of 23
knowhatimean,
Great call!
My CD-Rs play on the CXC without the Herbie's Super Black Hole.
However, the CD-Rs also play when using either the Gien [all carbon graphite] or SID disc mat. These are "full coverage" mats that make a positive improvement: smoother overall presentation, better separation and spatiality, more well-defined bass and treble, etc.
Thanks again!
Will a/b the CXC and the 6000CDT a bit more later, but it looks like a "slam-dunk" for the Cambridge at this point.

Cambridge CXC
Chord Qutest
ecp DSHA-3F
Focal Utopia

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 23
Thank you for the insight.
Will try without the Herbie's "Super Black Hole" disc mat.
. . . but it sort of defeats the whole purpose of the mat(s). . .

Have been using RDC cones, or Herbie's Gabon ebony hemispheres, or Magnetic Floaters or Ginkgo mini-cloud isolation underneath the CXC all along, not the stock feet.

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #20 of 23
I have the CDT arriving tomorrow. I discovered I missed listening to physical CDs and wanted to buy a CD transport. My collection of over 1600 compact discs have been ripped to FLAC and I listen via SONOS, Bluesound, and/or Cambridge CXN. In fact, I own a lot of Cambridge gear: CXN, CXU, CXA60, Azur 650A & 650C, DAC Magic 100, and I was considering the CXC transport but I thought it is time to try "new sounds". Also, the form factor and aesthetic of the 6000CDT drew me to it over the CXC.

I also just bought a NAD C368 that I plan to connect the CDT to via a Silnote Morpheus digital cable (also have AudioQuest and Amazon Basics coax and optical to try). I am excited to have a listen.

I plant to get the Audiolab 6000A one of these days too. Love the look of Audiolab.

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 23
I took delivery on one of these today and after getting it set up in a headphone system I thought to myself, why did I wait so long before I bought one? This thing is solid and has a simple understated beauty to it. I own several DACS but using an Audioquest coax I hooked up the $100 Modi 3+ and Kimber Kable to an Asgard 3. Focal Clear Pros for headphones. I was really skeptical that s transport would make a big difference in how a CD would sound. I've been using a Marantz CD5003 for a transport and thought it did a good job. It was a jaw dropping experience hearing a CD play using the transport. It's like veil has been lifted from the music. And that's with a hundred dollar DAC. No scratches on CDs but I'm going to keep checking.

Apr 22, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 23
Walk that back a bit: not all my CD-Rs play on the CXC.
The CD-Rs I really want to listen to do not play.
Are the ones that don’t play recorded with the same file type as the ones that play ok ?
Had my CXC for a few years now and more than happy with it ... once the warranty runs out there’s a few easy internal mods that make subtle improvements, re routing signal cables further away from power cables, damping material on larger flat metal panel area’s etc ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back