Audiointerface to PC speakers
Mar 16, 2010 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JonathanHF

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my Focusrite Saffire but I'm not sure how to connect those to the PC speakers.
It's got two(left and right) 1/4 mono output to connect to each of the studio monitor.
However, my PC speaker only have one 3.5mm in.
I have thought of Y splitters but they don't seem to fit as those are all 3.5mm.
So is there a best or proper way to connect my audiointerface to PC speakers?

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Which Saffire do you have?

The Saffire should have RCA outputs on the back which mirror the 1/4 outputs (which are likely balanced, not mono). The simplest method is to use an RCA-to-stereo cable to plug directly into your speakers. If there's a headphone out, you can just use a simple stereo interconnect and plug that into your speakers.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 13
I have the old Saffire (white).
You are right. They are balance 1/4 TRS jack.
But it seems RCA won't fit in those.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep0...ire2back.l.jpg

The monitor(speaker) outputs are located lower left corner, which are #1 and #2 outputs.
I believe your saffire 6 usb does have RCA outputs from looking at the picture.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 13
It is just a case of adapters and cables. I do a great deal of recording so I have a large box of cables and a huge tackle box full of adapters.

Those look like you are on the right track but if your just using plain PC type speakers you would need a female 3.5mm That cable has a male 3.5mm...
So you need a 1/4 TS to female mini jack.

Here is the cable, LINK

That would allow you to connect up some "PC" type speaker with a 3.5mm jack
That site has alot of great cables.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Yes my speakers have 3.5mm female input.
The adapter you showed me has a 1/4 female, so
I will need to convert the 1/4 to 3.5mm in order to connect to my speakers
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem solved.
I really appreciate your help.

If you get into using more and more recording gear, you will start a collection of cables and adapters without realizing it.
I record music all the time, so I am always connecting gear such as Mixers, reference monitors, effects using, preamps etc..to my PC so I alway need to adapter this output to that input. I actually have a large box of cables and a large tackle box full of adapters and I still get into situation where I need to go and buy something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back