Audioengine vs JBL
May 26, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 20
I have the original A2. But i would probably lean towards the JBL because bigger drivers and wider frequency response. And depending on where u get it from, the A2+ is most likely going to cost more.

May 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 20
  Are the JBLs active as well?

yes

on a side note, how do u connect speakers like JBL LSR305 to a computer? Since each speaker requires a power plug, do you split the line out into left and right? 

May 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Are the JBLs active as well?

Strictly speaking the A2s are not technically active speakers at all. The correct term is powered. The JBLs are genuinely active.

Active and passive/powered speakers are differentiated by the type of crossover used. The bit that divides the high notes from the low notes and sends them to the right sized speaker cone.

In a traditional passive system each stereo channel is amplified and then the signal is divided between the tweeter and woofer afterwards. A powered system is the same as an old fashioned passive system except the amplifiers, one per channel, are housed in one of the boxes.

In a true active system the incoming line level signal is divided prior to the amplifier sections. Each loudspeaker cone then has it's own individual amp. This involves at least twice as many amplifiers and more expensive electronics. So whilst being generally superior it is also more expensive. Not always but usually.

If the prices are in any way similar the JBLs are therefore the clear winner in all counts except possibly size and appearance. They go at least 20Hz deeper and more than twice as loud.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Don't mean to be rude but sometimes i feel like jbl has lost its virginity
atsmile.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 20
  yes

on a side note, how do u connect speakers like JBL LSR305 to a computer? Since each speaker requires a power plug, do you split the line out into left and right? 

For power you would need 2 separate power cords, one for each speaker.

As for the signal you can buy a 3.5mm to XLR cable like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068OEO/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1406291987&sr=1&keywords=hosa+3.5+xlr

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 20
  I've pretty much decided to get the LSR305s. However, i was just wondering if the bass of the 305s are strong enough, since i mostly listen to EDM. Would i need to get a subwoofer?

"Strong" is quite subjective. The bass from the LSR305 is quite decent but I can't tell if it would suit your requirement for "strong enough".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back