Audioengine Surround Sound?
Nov 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Needles

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking way down the road here, but I wonder ...

If I were looking to upgrade my eventual 2.1 setup (Audioengines + sub, I have the Audioengine A5s, the sub is a twinkle in my eye) to 4.1 or even 5.1, would I be best served employing the same speakers all around? In other words, would it be possible to use the A5s as front left and right and, for instance, A2s for rear left and right? Would this work, or would the SQ imbalance be a real kick in the face? I've owned "pre-packaged" 5.1 setups before (Klipsch Pro Media Ultra being my most recent), but I've never assembled one from scratch.

I ask, because I'd have to store the rear speakers on stands that would have to "disappear" (at least, not loom large in a corner) when not in use. I would literally have to move the stands to pre-determined locations behind my seat during gaming/viewing, and move them out of the way for all other non-gaming/non-movie activities, as my PC is in a relatively central and high traffic location extremely ill-suited to a permanent surround sound setup. I'd hate to drop another wad of cash on a second pair of A5s that would ultimately spend the majority of their time languishing in a corner ... that said, I also want me some surround!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back