AudioEngine Speakers
Aug 25, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I sort of want these speakers. As soon as I return to buy mode I might pick up a pair.

Hi,

They are just a test cable for now. Can you guys advise on what lengths might be in demand? I as thinking of making 8 foot lengths. I have another set that I think I am going to go with and I will post these soon and perhaps send a pair out to someone to evaluate.

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 25, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #19 of 32
I think 6-8 foot would be more than sufficient, most people use these on their desks. I would love to try these out if you would be up for sending them over..

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think 6-8 foot would be more than sufficient, most people use these on their desks. I would love to try these out if you would be up for sending them over..

I second that emotion. I am usually a fan of having a cable a hair longer just in case so I'd be likely to want an 8ft length. My A2's are set up on my desk but I would have to run the cable underneath the desk to minimze clutter so the extra two feet would be welcome. 8 ft length would also allow a bit more flexibility in placement when using them on the go as well.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that emotion. I am usually a fan of having a cable a hair longer just in case so I'd be likely to want an 8ft length. My A2's are set up on my desk but I would have to run the cable underneath the desk to minimze clutter so the extra two feet would be welcome. 8 ft length would also allow a bit more flexibility in placement when using them on the go as well.

i agree here...i'd prefer a little longer cable (8ft. sounds about right) so that portions can run under the desk to minimize above-desk clutter.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #22 of 32
Checking in on progress. Any thoughts about having a different cable for the A2 vs the A5? Seems like the A2 might benefit from some additional top end extension which doesn't seem to be an issue with the A5.

Also, just bumping up the thread 'cuz I'm anxious...

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Checking in on progress. Any thoughts about having a different cable for the A2 vs the A5? Seems like the A2 might benefit from some additional top end extension which doesn't seem to be an issue with the A5.

Also, just bumping up the thread 'cuz I'm anxious...

We have settled on a geometry and wire type so I am almost done with this cable, and have a special announcement to make along with it. Stay tuned...

Literally putting the spades on the cables today (Cardas solid copper spades very nice). I will have 2 types of these cables as well as have a speaker version that will be a set for conventional speakers.

Again sorry for the delay, I have a lot in the fire right now.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have settled on a geometry and wire type so I am almost done with this cable, and have a special announcement to make along with it. Stay tuned...

Literally putting the spades on the cables today (Cardas solid copper spades very nice). I will have 2 types of these cables as well as have a speaker version that will be a set for conventional speakers.

Again sorry for the delay, I have a lot in the fire right now.

Ken

Ken,
Any update?

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Ken,
Any update?

I have to get these out to my photographer, along with a whole slew of other new cables I have to roll out
beerchug.gif
whoohoo!. But here they are. The cable (wire) is 100% cryo treated CryoParts . I use Cardas solid copper spades on these cables. These spades are the a very solid sonic way to go for connectors. The wire is a 18awg high strand count OFC copper in a PE jacket, the silver wire is my new ALO Cryo SXC wire. The cable is a 8 foot length $175 (its one cable for the Audio Engine A2/5) I have also will carry a pair for conventional speakers for $300. I also will sell a premium 6 wire all ALO Cryo SXC speaker cable using solid copper Cardas spades that are rhodium over silver. Also the cable has been cryoed at Cryo Parts.

ALO-A5-speaker-cable.jpg

I am working on a bunch of new stuff at the moment, spending a lot of time making all the new cables and of course still chugging away on the ALO amp, which is getting very close. I want to have a bunch of them before selling them because I do not like waiting lists and such.

Again I will get better photos soon.

thanks

Ken

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #26 of 32
That wire looks pretty nice! I'm very tempted
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had the a5 speakers for quite awhile, nearly two years now, and am still amazed by how these speakers sound. I currently use a pretty fat, very long, cable made for me by a local audio shop but yours would fit the bill perfectly.

I use my iMac with an EMU 0404 usb. I think it compares to systems FAR more expensive.

I recently got the s8 subwoofer from them and am very happy with the sound now. I think I need some cables for it too as my crappy monster cables are a touch too short!

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That wire looks pretty nice! I'm very tempted
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had the a5 speakers for quite awhile, nearly two years now, and am still amazed by how these speakers sound. I currently use a pretty fat, very long, cable made for me by a local audio shop but yours would fit the bill perfectly.

I use my iMac with an EMU 0404 usb. I think it compares to systems FAR more expensive.

I recently got the s8 subwoofer from them and am very happy with the sound now. I think I need some cables for it too as my crappy monster cables are a touch too short!

Cool! Yes and I can make then any length, just ask.

Cheers

Ken

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One little system that I would personally recommend would be the new separate pico USB DAC without amplifier for $250 plus the audio engine fives which would deliver premium sound for $600.

Where can I find the pico USB DAC. I looked at the Headamp website and searched the threads. Where is it?

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #30 of 32
I love my A2s, and was thinking about this nice cable. But it looks like it is actually listed at $210 instead of $175. Is that right?

Also, any suggestions for upgrading the mini-to-mini interconnect that comes with the A2s? And if I have to prioritize, which should I upgrade first? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back