AudioEngine Speakers
May 14, 2008 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32
I have been carrying AudioEngine speakers for a while now and I cant be more impressed with them as a top notch self powered small speaker. Just attach your imod or ipod and your groovin - no amplifier needed.

Plenty of reviews but here is a recent one.

Stereophile: Audioengine 2 powered loudspeaker

Again if your looking for a small speaker that will not kill your wallet but will be "killer" for sound, the A2 is the ticket.

ALOaudio - Audio Line Out: Interconnect cables and portable line out docks for iPod

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How different does the A2 sound from A5?

Not taking anything away from the A2s, the A5s just have a larger sound and they should because they are physically larger. I am have always been enamored with all things portable and small, especially electronics. What empresses me about Audioengine is that the A2 has such good bass and overall warmth for such a small speaker, and the price is VERY very good.

Here is the reviews page.

Audioengine - Powered stereo speakers for your home and office. Custom built for iPod and other MP3 audio players.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 1, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What empresses me about Audioengine is that the A2 has such good bass and overall warmth for such a small speaker, and the price is VERY very good.

I'll second that. Just got to hear the A2s we bought from Ken for a friend and it's uncanny how those little things fill a small room with very, very nice music. Everyone is really pleased with them!

BTW, it's a pleasure buying from Ken. Always stays on top of things!

Phil

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 32
I also like the audio engine product. For the money it is one of the best values in audio today and the simplicity of setup is second to none.

The acoustic energy speaker systems were also really good and more also self powered, but no one seems to carry those anymore.

I do high end installs in people's homes in Aspen Colorado, as well as doing systems for stores and restaurants. The audio engine product has become a "go to" product for me. The price point, simplicity, and reliability made me so enamored of the product that I also became a dealer.

For the people here that post on these forums, they can get relatively good sound, and still have enough money left over for a nice headphone amplifier to feed these speakers -- or perhaps even enough for a quality digital to analog converter.

One little system that I would personally recommend would be the new separate pico USB DAC without amplifier for $250 plus the audio engine fives which would deliver premium sound for $600.

Aug 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like the audio engine product. For the money it is one of the best values in audio today and the simplicity of setup is second to none.

The acoustic energy speaker systems were also really good and more also self powered, but no one seems to carry those anymore.

I do high end installs in people's homes in Aspen Colorado, as well as doing systems for stores and restaurants. The audio engine product has become a "go to" product for me. The price point, simplicity, and reliability made me so enamored of the product that I also became a dealer.

For the people here that post on these forums, they can get relatively good sound, and still have enough money left over for a nice headphone amplifier to feed these speakers -- or perhaps even enough for a quality digital to analog converter.

One little system that I would personally recommend would be the new separate pico USB DAC without amplifier for $250 plus the audio engine fives which would deliver premium sound for $600.

I actually own both the A5's and the A2's. A5's are set up in the garage so when I sit out front or when I'm riding bikes with the kids I get the sweet sounds. A2's are set up at my desk at work.

I didn't realize you could get the PICO as a standalone DAC without amp? If so then I'm grabbing one. Would make an incredible setup.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also making some real killer speaker cables for the A2 / A5.

I will post these later.

Ken

Sweet. Looking forward to this. Definitely need some nicer cables for both the A5 and A2.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet. Looking forward to this. Definitely need some nicer cables for both the A5 and A2.

Cool hold on...

kb

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken - any update on the Audioengine ALO speaker cables?

I just got my new wire back from being Cryo treated and am working on these now... sorry for the delay. Photos coming soon. I have a whole new line up of cables using my new ALO proprietary custom audio wire, very excited and well busy.

Ken

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #14 of 32
Something like this... These are some test Audioengine cables. I have about 2 others that I am testing out but this gives you the general idea.

A2.jpg

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back