Audioengine N22
Dec 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

unknownmember

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Having recently invested in my first pair of high end ish head phones, the Sony XB 1000, along with it I discovered headphone amps....I know how n00bie lol. To the point, at the moment I have the equalizer set for bass and unfortunately it's distorted some what. And I was wondering if I get the N22 will this take care of the issue? Because as far I can understand the amp will feed more power thus allowing the headphone to sound more clear. I'm really new to this a stuff so please beat me up.

The board is an Asus Gene Z with this stuff 

SupremeFX X-Fi 2 built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC 
X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity
EAX® Advanced HD 5.0 
THX® TruStudio PRO

EDIT
I'm also willing to fork out for a sound card if it'll help and I've only got a PCIe x4 lane left.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks,

I'm into Rap/Hip-Hop, most are MP3 and some are AAC and I use iTunes. As to bitrate, about 40% are 320, 30% of 256, 20% of 195 and the rest is 128 or lower. Could you please recommend an amp that's no more then $500. I'm really new to this and it's just so much to take it.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 8
Would a ASUS Xonar Essence One be a good choice? Though the thing is made to drive up to 600ohms headset but my XB is 24ohms.........
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 8
I've been using the N22 amp for over 6 months now and I've used it with a fair number of different headphones.  First, the N22 is a good amp and will work with 8, 6, or 4 ohm speakers.  20 watts is more than enough for a desktop set up.  It pairs nicely with the Audio Engine P4 speakers (which I use) but there are plenty of other good choices.  The headphone amp is pretty good but I would not recommend it with a 250 ohm headphones.  It works very well with my audio technica ath m50 and AT ATH AD 700s.  It also has rca variable outs if you want to add a sub and 2 inputs (rca and minijack).  It runs cool and takes up very little space. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 8
The N22 is an affordable, great-sounding amp that works well with a pair of venerable ads L-300. an outstanding combo. I heard it can even drive some high-end Totem Acoustics. For now I'm waiting for reviews on the D1 24-bit dac/headphone amp. Has anybody read anything about this gem?   

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 8
+1 soymilkftw : i fear you would buy the wrong tool for the job or worse commit an expensive mistake so i suggest the Fiio E9 desktop headphone amp first. Add in a soundcard/DAC in the chain later if u see fit
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a FIIO E7/E9 combo driving Sennheiser HD555 an HD25-ii

It's was a great, not to mention cheap, way to break into the whole DAC/amp scene.  FIIO has a newer DAC coming out called the E17 that's supposed to blow the E7 out of the water.  I think getting the E17 or maybe if you can't wait, an E10 will solve your issue.
E10: http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=37&MenuID=020301
E17: http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=41&MenuID=020301

It's way under $500.  It will give you better sound than going through your soundcard (can play the hi res audio 24bit/96Khz), will amp your cans (up to 300ohms), and it's portable so you can strap it to your phone or iDevice (preferably through the Line Out Dock).  That's all kinds of win right there.

Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back