Audioengine HD3's with a dedicated headphone amp?
Sep 18, 2017 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Eternalmetal

Head-Fier
Im looking at buying a relatively budget set of computer speakers to replace my horrendously old set that is now starting to crap out. Considering that I can use the HD3's in a variety of different ways (with my cassette player, turntable, and phone via bluetooth), I am basically ready to hit the purchase button. But I have also been having problems with my DAC (a Schiit Bifrost), where no matter what I do I cant get my PC to recognize it properly. Come to think of it, ive always had a problem with it, but I could usually get it to connect. Either way, I dont want it in my setup anymore, and was wondering if it was possible to use the output RCAs on the back to connect to a headphone amp? I know that I could just connect it to the front of the speaker, but when you have a Schiit Lyr for that very purpose, I was just curious if I could either hold off buying a dedicated DAC for a while or just permanently minimize my PC setup.

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Im looking at buying a relatively budget set of computer speakers to replace my horrendously old set that is now starting to crap out. Considering that I can use the HD3's in a variety of different ways (with my cassette player, turntable, and phone via bluetooth), I am basically ready to hit the purchase button. But I have also been having problems with my DAC (a Schiit Bifrost), where no matter what I do I cant get my PC to recognize it properly. Come to think of it, ive always had a problem with it, but I could usually get it to connect. Either way, I dont want it in my setup anymore, and was wondering if it was possible to use the output RCAs on the back to connect to a headphone amp? I know that I could just connect it to the front of the speaker, but when you have a Schiit Lyr for that very purpose, I was just curious if I could either hold off buying a dedicated DAC for a while or just permanently minimize my PC setup.

If you mean using the HD3 as the DAC while it takes digital input via USB and BT, that can work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back