Audioengine/dac question.
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of A5s connected to my iMac. I've been thinking I may soon add an Apogee Duet between them. It looks like I should first figure out a way to elevate my A5s. They are sitting on the desk right now.

See my solution on post 437 of:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/pi...9/index30.html

Drawers are still functional with weight of speakers.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 24
How does one hookup the Fubar II DAC (or any usb dac for that matter) to a new macbook pro exactly? The unibody macbook pros have a digital out through the 3.5mm jack, but where does that plug into these dac's? Also, the A5's only have a 3.5mm analog in jack, and it looks like usb dac's don't have this output. How would one connect the A5's to a DAC?

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #21 of 24
Nov 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toslink to mini Toslink cable (there are also adaptors that convert a regular Toslink in to a mini): Amazon.com: 6ft Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable: Electronics

and L/R RCA to 1/8" miniplug: Amazon.com: RiteAV - 3.5mm to Stereo RCA Male Cable - 6 ft.: RiteAV: Electronics

(Those are just examples I am not endorsing those particular cables)

I see how the rca to miniplug would be useful to go from the dac to the speakers, but how would the toslink cable plug into the external dac when the only input it accepts is a usb cable? I would need an external dac with an optical input, correct?

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #23 of 24
I don't know the audioengines, but I know desktop speaker placement can exaggerate bass and destroy imaging. Ideally, they need to be off the desktop and forward of the back wall without anything to the sides of the speakers. This isn't always realistic on a crowded desktop, but it is ideal. Reflections, from the sides, the back wall and the desktop itself are the enemy of imaging. Sitting on the desktop is the friend of unnatural bass.

P

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #24 of 24
I still haven't gotten around to picking up a DAC, but I did get the A5s off the desk and have been very impressed with the difference it made. Definitely something I should have done much sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back