Audioengine D3 USB-DAC balance control problem
Mar 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Johan in Brabant

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I recently bought the Audioengine D3 USB DAC to use on my laptop with headphones to improve sound from movies I watch.
My ears are probably a bit off so I need to play R channel a bit louder than left.

Funny thing is that with the Audioengine the balance control on Windows doesn't work:
i.e. the R-channel slider controls the volume for both channels and the L-channel slider doesn't seem to do anything.

On laptop internal speakers and with headphones directly to laptop balance control does work.
For now I'm ruling out a defective Audioengine because in MediaMonkey the balance slider does work.
I'm using VLC to play movies.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Johan

PS it does this on 2 windows 7 machines I have

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 9
No response from Audioengine. At first they were quick to answer with non-helpful standard responses (reinstall driver etc.)
Ended up buying a third party volume control app that can set balance per application (foobar, VLC etc.)
I suspect the Audioengine firmware for the TAS1020 USB controller in the D3 has issues with the Windows Sound Mixer balance control.
First and last Audioengine device for me.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Any fix? I need this.

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 9
I use include file in EqualizerAPO. I just use the multichannel.txt they already provide but modify it to only affect the channel and dB level I want.

Jul 13, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your answers.
I ditched the Audioengine D3 for now, as it seems my current laptop hasn't got any issues driving my 600ohm headphones.
I'll keep EqualizerAPO in mind for later use.

Cheers,
Johan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back