Audioengine D1 vs. Schiit Modi for A5+
Mar 31, 2015 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jbl772

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

From my research all I could find were comparisons between the D1 and Schiit stack for headphones. No one really gave input as to which DAC would be better for Audioengine A5+. It seems people love the D1 with the A2s and A5s but I haven't come across anyone using a Modi with these speakers. So my question is which DAC would you guys recommend to use with A5+?

Any help will be a life saver. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 10
The Modi is a better DAC than the D1. The D1 is a combined DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. However, the Modi is just a DAC. To get the same functionality, you need to combine the Modi with the Schiit Magni 2.

If you haven't bought the Audioengine A5+ yet, I'd recommend looking into the JBL LSR305s.

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 10
The Modi is a better DAC than the D1. The D1 is a combined DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. However, the Modi is just a DAC. To get the same functionality, you need to combine the Modi with the Schiit Magni 2.

If you haven't bought the Audioengine A5+ yet, I'd recommend looking into the JBL LSR305s.

The LSR305 ($136 on Amazon) beat the A5+? My friend has the A5+ and they sound amazing, and we both listen to EDM only.  I am willing to spend <$500 on the best possible speakers I can get for listening to EDM.

Do you think the D1 is worth it to use both for my Pro900s and speakers?  Or would there be a better alternative than the D1.  I have the e10 right now, and most reviews say the D1 makes the low end of the A5+ so much better than the e10.  And when I look up threads for DACs for the A5+, all people say are to get the D1 so that's why I'm having a hard time.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 10
The LSR305 ($136 on Amazon) beat the A5+? My friend has the A5+ and they sound amazing, and we both listen to EDM only.  I am willing to spend <$500 on the best possible speakers I can get for listening to EDM.

Do you think the D1 is worth it to use both for my Pro900s and speakers?  Or would there be a better alternative than the D1.  I have the e10 right now, and most reviews say the D1 makes the low end of the A5+ so much better than the e10.  And when I look up threads for DACs for the A5+, all people say are to get the D1 so that's why I'm having a hard time.

Yes. I think the LSR305s are in the same class as (or better) than the A5+, which is why I would not spend the extra money on the A5+.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in monumental improvements between the DAC in the E10 and the D1. If you want more bass for EDM, consider buying a good sub.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 10
So you would recommend just keeping the E10 and getting LSR305? Or buying the LSR305 and getting a Modi DAC?  What about the 308?

Just curious, have you heard both the A5+ and the 305?  We EQ'd my friend's A5+ and they sound amazing for EDM.  I would have bought them already but for the price tag I'm just trying to see if there's something better

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 10
I just wouldn't count on the D1 as being substantially better. DACs are supposed to aim toward accuracy. Unless the E10 or the D1 are not accurate, how could they be substantially different in that regard?

Sure. Go for the 308s. You'll get more/deeper bass, and overall more max volume out of them. There will definitely be a difference between an 8" driver an a 5" driver when it comes to bass for EDM.

Or get the LSR 305s and save up for a good subwoofer like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Temblor-T10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B00GRDDM5E

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 10
I would consider the Airmotiv series in a class above the JBLs and Audioengines.  The ribbon tweeter is very good, and I'd wager the amp section in the Emotiva's is better.  One advantage to a ribbon tweeter is it has a smaller vertical dispersion, this means if you have the speakers on a desk, you won't experience as much reflection off the desk surface.  

The Schiit Modi 2 and SYS would be a good DAC/pre-amp combo for the active speakers.  If you need a headphone amp as well, consider the Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 10
  How would you rate the Emotiva 5S vs the A5+ and LSR305s?

Couldn't comment on this (you'd have to listen to them yourself, really), but I love my JBL'. People have their own tweeter preference.  Regardless, they present excellent imaging and clarity. Got em from AMS with a passive volume controller and isolation pads (reduces reflections) all for $299.

Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back