Audioengine D1 vs HRT Headstreamer vs Fiio E17
May 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
im a noob but from reading i think the audioengine is just a dac not a portable amp/dac

look it has no 3.5mm imput

It is a DAC/Amp but you are correct that it is not portable like the Fiio E17 and the Headstreamer.

May 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 18
While we are talking about which is better the next step it to find where to get them and I for the love of God can't find a seller of the fiio e17 in the USA for the normal price of 139

Amazon is 200 lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

May 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 18
Well I ended up going with the Audioengine D1 over the Headstreamer for 2 reasons, one because it has a dedicated volume knob which I prefer, and two because you can use it with speakers. I should have it on Wednesday so i'll give some impressions then.

May 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 18
Hi All, I am in a similar situation to the OP, I have decided on a new set of Headphones (Sony MDR-ZX700) and now I am torn between the D1, Headstreamer, E17 and also the Arcam rPAC.

I like the look of the rPAC however I read some quite negative comments about it on another site, something to do with the DAC chip being a very low grade item. I think the Headstreamer ticks all the boxes for me, however I am keen on hearing some user opinions on the rPAC as I have a local dealer I can get one from, they don't have one in stock for me to try out.

Jim.

May 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 18
So I recieved my D1 yesterday and have maybe put about 8 hours or so of listening time into it through the usb, might try the optical at a later time. It does seem to make things a lot clearer then through the laptops standard headphone jack, The bass doesn't seem to be much more prominent really at least with these full sized headphones. Using J River MC 17 with Wasapi Event enable. I guess if anyone has any questions I will try to answer them!

May 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
I guess if anyone has any questions I will try to answer them!

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl next year?

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 18
I have the D1, it is awesome to say the least.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 18
I have an Audioengine D1.  I use it both with some Sennheiser HD239s and with some DreamEarz Aud 7X custom In-ear monitors.  It sounds good through both, though of course the Aud 7Xs are fantastic.  (I recommend checking them out if you are in the market for IEMs).

I like the sound quality and the form factor of the device.  It is very compact on my desk.  It "just works" with my Mac with no additional driver.

My main complaint is the volume knob.  It is not the most solid-feeling thing.  And it is way too sensitive at the lower end of the range.  With the Aud 7Xs I have to keep it near the bottom and it is hard to adjust the volume.  A tiny change makes it turn off or go really high.  I wish they had a better knob and a more spread-out gain.

But these are small concerns.  Overall the device works great, sounds great, and is reasonably priced.  Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back