Audioengine d1 sounds like onboard laptop source?
Apr 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xriddler

Head-Fier
So I've been running my B&W p7s through my Toshiba Satelite A660-135 laptop for a few months and thought to invest and get my head wet with a dac to try and hear some improvements. So i grabbed the D1 since it was on sale for $130. But Comparing the D1 and my laptop I cant hear any difference at all. Could it be that my laptop has an equivalent sound quality to the D1? My laptop does have Harman/kardon speakers onboard maybe it has somekind of audio improvements I dont know about? Is there anyway to figure out what dac/amp components my laptop has? 

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 8
You should hear a difference. My Essence ST made my cheapo Logitech PC speakers sound 10 times better. On board is sooo bad that anything remotely better should make a difference. I did find however that my Essence ST did not do much for my Sennheiser Amperiors as much as it did for my speakers. That is why I am into speakers rather than headphones. I think portable/mobile use headphones do not really benefit from amping or even better DAC's. I would suggest you sell your headphones and get some open backed audiophile headphones that have a decently high ohm rating. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Your opinion doesn't count towards anything unless you have heard all possible onboard soundcards. You may have heard realtec, but you haven't heard the ops laptop config.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 8
  All onboard sound is crap. 

Not true. I actually used to have a Toshiba laptop with harmon/kardon branding on it and the speakers were actually really good considering they were laptop speakers. Much better than a lot of those cheap 2.0 speakers. The headphone out was also pretty good as well. Decently amped, could drive my HE-400 and sounded fairly good. I have a Xonar ST as well and while the difference is apparent, I don't think the Toshiba laptop sounded bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back