Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC to drive AKG K7xx?
May 29, 2015 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yopeople70

New Head-Fier
So from what I've read, the AKG's K series are very meticulous and controversial when it comes to headphone amps. Some people say you do not need an amp, and others say you need an amp that is greater than $500 to be driven. I watched a video from a youtuber called MKBHD and he really loves the D1 and says that the built in amp can run most things. How well would the D1 power the AKG K7xx? I was also looking at the JDS labs objective 2 headphone amp which seems to get very good reviews. Are there possibly better alternative Dac/Amp combinations that are superior to the D1?

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I have read some of the reviews that say the K7XX are harder to drive than their impedance would suggest.  Even so, from other context clues (being able to get any reasonable volume from a smartphones headphone jack for example), I wouldn't expect driving these to be a problem for the D1.

I don't think we have a pair for testing though, so I can't say 100% for sure what to expect.  I'd be interested as well in hearing some first hand experiences from someone who has access to a pair as well as a D1.

I do know the D1 will drive Sennheiser HD650s and Hifiman HE-400s, no sweat.  Those are a couple I've had the chance to try out myself.

-Daniel

p.s. just in case it's not clear, I work for Audioengine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back