Audioengine D1 or Schiit stack?
Nov 1, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 29
I can't find any info of my motherboard lol
Maybe I'll just buy the uber version. Do I need to buy some kind of better cable for USB and rca? Or just getting a normal one as a entry.
Thanks.
Normal cables are fine but I'd recommend the short PYST cables from Schiit. They look good and are short enough to connect the two units when stacked. Apparently there is an RCA bridge that is essentially a small rectangle with 90 degree rca jumpers, and it looks pretty compact. I don't know where to find it but a fellow member posted a picture of one and it looks pretty neat.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #17 of 29
Normal cables are fine but I'd recommend the short PYST cables from Schiit. They look good and are short enough to connect the two units when stacked. Apparently there is an RCA bridge that is essentially a small rectangle with 90 degree rca jumpers, and it looks pretty compact. I don't know where to find it but a fellow member posted a picture of one and it looks pretty neat.
The price is acceptable and they have both USB and rca cable. Is it produce better sound quality than the normal cheap one?

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 29
Can I check how many power can my mother board provide? I don't know how to.

They're typically not stated anywhere, not even in the manual. They just do the typical "can power up to 600ohm headphones," which in some cases is like slapping on a 2.2L I4 engine into a pick up truck with short gearing to make it seem zippy but put a trailer with a racing bike on that truck and four people in the cab and it'll be as fast and nimble as a mail delivery van.

I can't find any info of my motherboard lol

You can open your tower and look on the motherboard then Google its model number. It's somewhere near the chipset heatsink, but in many cases the graphics card will hide it so you need to pull that out.

Still, output power specs even on boards that claim to have good amp circuits are typically not stated. One can guess a ballpark figure based on other amps that have the same type and number of op-amps, and then conservatively guess it will be below that figure considering the motherboard engineers' forte isn't amps and the mobo isn't working with a dedicated PSU for the audio section, even with giant caps inside your PSU there's still the graphics card working off of it.

Maybe I'll just buy the uber version. Do I need to buy some kind of better cable for USB and rca? Or just getting a normal one as a entry.

Get Schiit PYST or order from BlueJeans Cable.

If you're getting the Uber though why use USB? Check whether your motherboard has SPDIF toslink or coax and use that. The Modi2 Uber comes with its own power brick so it's not dependent on USB power either. The only way USB is better is if you need a compact USB-powered DAC-HPamp or you're using DSD, which typically needs the bandwidth of USB/HDMI/Firewire/etc.

The price is acceptable and they have both USB and rca cable. Is it produce better sound quality than the normal cheap one?

Unless you're comparing them to the really cheap RCA cables that come bundled with mega store optical video disc players, no. And even then I can't guess if the difference is audible to you.

Build quality is better though and the PYST RCA and XLR are short cables designed specifically for used with stacked Schiit gear, so you have less cable clutter.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 29
Get Schiit PYST or order from BlueJeans Cable.

If you're getting the Uber though why use USB? Check whether your motherboard has SPDIF toslink or coax and use that. The Modi2 Uber comes with its own power brick so it's not dependent on USB power either. The only way USB is better is if you need a compact USB-powered DAC-HPamp or you're using DSD, which typically needs the bandwidth of USB/HDMI/Firewire/etc.
Thedescription of my motherboard said it had a SPDIF output but didn't mention which type, and I can't find any information online. Need to check it after work.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #21 of 29
The Uber has more inputs and is powered by the included power cable/wall wart. The Modi 2 is just USB powered. As far as internals go, I think it's the same DAC just with different power supply and inputs. I owned the Uber and liked the fact that it has an external power supply. For some reason I just don't like DACs that get their power via USB
Is it possible I get power from the wall wart and getting source from USB?

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 29
Is it possible I get power from the wall wart and getting source from USB?
I don't quite understand the question :/ The Modi 2 Uber will give power from an outlet and data from USB

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 29
I don't quite understand the question :/ The Modi 2 Uber will give power from an outlet and data from USB
Lol sorry for my bad English, I mean when I plug in the USB and power cable, it should be powered from the power cable instead of the USB, right?
Cause I think my desktop don't have any SPDIF output.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #24 of 29
Lol sorry for my bad English, I mean when I plug in the USB and power cable, it should be powered from the power cable instead of the USB, right?
Cause I think my desktop don't have any SPDIF output.

The Modi 2U will take its power from the power cable. It does make some use of the power on the USB cable, I think just to sense that connection is there, but it is not powered by USB. And in my experience with other devices, this configuration will give better sound quality compared to USB power alone.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #25 of 29
Thedescription of my motherboard said it had a SPDIF output but didn't mention which type, and I can't find any information online. Need to check it after work.

If it's just to check if it has SPDIF you don't even need to go online. Go and look at the mobo I/O on the back.

If it has a square-ish thing that looks like a door, and when you touch it actually kinda moves like a door, that's optical SPDIF.

If there's an orange or black RCA, it might be coaxial SPDIF - this is what you have to check on the manual.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 29
The Modi 2U will take its power from the power cable. It does make some use of the power on the USB cable, I think just to sense that connection is there, but it is not powered by USB. And in my experience with other devices, this configuration will give better sound quality compared to USB power alone.
Thanks for the sharing, atleast I can do it this way if I don't have a SPDIF output.
edit: autocorrect

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 29
If it's just to check if it has SPDIF you don't even need to go online. Go and look at the mobo I/O on the back.

If it has a square-ish thing that looks like a door, and when you touch it actually kinda moves like a door, that's optical SPDIF.

If there's an orange or black RCA, it might be coaxial SPDIF - this is what you have to check on the manual.
Okay, I'll check it when I get home and update you haha.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #28 of 29
When I was looking for a dac/amp I had a couple of alternatives I was looking at, and I almost ended up with the D1. But browsing through the net I saw mention of the Modi/Magni stack. I think it was here on head-fi. It had so many good reviews I decided to go for it instead and I ended up with the Magni2U and Modi2U and have never looked back. Now I have the Magni3 and Modi Multibit and are really happy with them as well. I have no experience with the D1 at all as I never bought it, but having the Modi/Magni I haven’t felt the need to look for anything else. :)

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #29 of 29
When I was looking for a dac/amp I had a couple of alternatives I was looking at, and I almost ended up with the D1. But browsing through the net I saw mention of the Modi/Magni stack. I think it was here on head-fi. It had so many good reviews I decided to go for it instead and I ended up with the Magni2U and Modi2U and have never looked back. Now I have the Magni3 and Modi Multibit and are really happy with them as well. I have no experience with the D1 at all as I never bought it, but having the Modi/Magni I haven’t felt the need to look for anything else. :)
Thanks for your sharing, I’ve also ended up with the Fulla 2 and waiting for it to ship. Hope that it’s as good as the reviews lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back