Audioengine D1 + Apple TV 3 Issues
Jul 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kuatolives

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new here; not exactly sure if this is the correct sub-forum to post this in.  Please feel free to relocate this thread if it belongs somewhere else, but I'm really hoping to find some help with this issue. 

About a month ago I purchased an Audioengine D1 as my first DAC, and am only using it as a DAC, not a headphone amp.  I connected it to my Apple TV via optical and love the sound it produces...when it works.  I'm only using it for listening to music over Airplay through the DAC, and still have the ATV connected to my receiver via HDMI for movie-watching, etc.  Since I'm out of ideas I'm starting to think this may be part of my problem.

My problem is this: I can only get the DAC to output sound about half of the time.  The other half I get nothing, no sound at all.  If I start playing a track via Airplay, switch over to the analog in on my AVR, I get nothing.  Switching to HDMI, I'll always get sound.  Sometimes it works perfectly and just stops working all of a sudden.  Unplugging and reconnecting the USB and/or optical cables works temporarily sometimes, but that isn't a very elegant solution.  Basically it comes down to luck whether I get to listen to my music via the DAC or over HDMI.  

Not sure how much it matters, but I'll list my equipment and cabling used for stereo listening:

Speakers: B&W 685
Sub: Martinlogan Dynamo 700
AVR: Marantz SR5006
Source: Apple TV (third gen) via the D1.

The Apple TV is connected directly to the receiver with a 2 meter Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cable. It's connected to the D1 via a 1 meter AQ Forest optical cable.  The D1 is connected to the AVR with a pair of AQ G-Snake RCA cables.  The D1 is powered by a generic ~2 meter USB cable and is plugged into a Griffin Powerblock USB AC Adapter, which is then plugged into my surge protector.

FWIW, I tried the same configuration with an older Pioneer Elite AVR I had and still had the same problems.  I'm thinking if it isn't something with the D1 itself, perhaps the Apple TV is having trouble outputting two audio streams at once, or is trying to give priority to the HDMI over optical.  Hopefully someone here has run into this issue before and can provide some sort of expertise or advice to get this working.

I am thinking that buying an Airport Express strictly for Airplay use might save me a lot of headache, but I'm not sure if the problem lies within the DAC or the ATV.

Any advice is appreciated, and thank you for taking time to read this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back