AudioEngine A5's or Mackies Mr5....can't decide..
Dec 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bombaclat

New Head-Fier
Sup guys!

This is driving me insane... My klipsch 5.1 ultra are dying, and I am looking to have them replaced. This will be connected to my ESI Juli@.

I am up in Canadia, therefore prices are a bit higher, but for around 430$CAN, I can get either the A5's or the MR5s.

The BIG problem is no store in my area has them in stock, so I cannot listen to them. I need your advice. Which one, and why? This set will mainly be used to listen to music (mostly power/symphonic/progressive metal) and some TF2.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Have a listen to the KRK Rokits, I was at Long and McQuade and did a comparison and liked the KRK better.

Haven't heard of the A5s, but I read they are designed as multimedia speakers, so they are probably more colored than the Mackies.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Are the A5s a true active design -- crossover before amplification, separate amps for woofers and tweeters -- or are they simply powered speakers -- amps built into speaker cabinets, driving conventional, passive speakers. If they are the latter, there is your answer. The chances of them performing on a par with the Mackies are very slim.

ON EDIT: I just googled the A5 and answered my own question. They are powered speakers, not a true active design. Sound unheard, the Mackies are by far the best bet.

P

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 14
The AudioEngine A5 have a convenient volume knob on the front of one of the speakers. It's very convenient to be able to change the volume like that (assuming the speaker is within reach).

Powered (active) studio monitors like the Mackies don't have the same kind of volume knob. You'll need to use some external device for volume control. Search this forum for my posts using a keyword like "volume" for some suggestions for volume control using studio monitors.

The Mackies and the A5 are also rear ported. They'll need some space behind the speakers for the rear port to properly breathe. If you don't have the space behind the speakers then look at speakers that have a front port like the KRK studio monitors. Front ported speakers are much more flexible in where they can be placed and still sound good.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know about the a5's, but ive heard the a2 and mackie mr5 and there's no contest, mackies sounds so much richer/fuller

i dont get the obsession w/ audioengines

You can't expect the a2's to be competitive to the mr5.

Dec 4, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 14
I use the MR5s in my basement. They are loud and a bit tubby in the bass, but work great for me -- I can hear them over my table saw. I use a passive NHT volume control with them, and the balanced input. They are very flexible as far as hook-up goes, and the rear port is not a problem if you space them around a foot away from the wall. That's almost a given because of their thumpyness anyway.

They sound great with metal in my opinion, they only seem woolly with acoustic material.

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 14
Huh, funny. I was in the exact same position as you. I mean, literally: In Canada, Klipsch ProMedia Ultra's no longer worked with my living arrangement, deciding between $400 powered speakers. I went with the Audioengine A5s from Mostly Digital. $400 shipped. I love 'em!

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the info.

God I hate this...now that the A5 is out...the KRK5's are in... I might be able to give them a listen @ Italmelodie if they have it in stock.

I still have a little time as my klipsch hisses/buzzes the first 10-12 ON-OFF cycles but eventually work...lol

Dec 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 14
I'd give readyandsold.com a look if you're going with the Audioengine 5s. I got mine from them and received it next day. I think they're actually the cheapest place to get the A5 in Canada. I got it for $369 + taxes and free shipping.

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the MR5s in my basement. They are loud and a bit tubby in the bass, but work great for me -- I can hear them over my table saw. I use a passive NHT volume control with them, and the balanced input. They are very flexible as far as hook-up goes, and the rear port is not a problem if you space them around a foot away from the wall. That's almost a given because of their thumpyness anyway.

They sound great with metal in my opinion, they only seem woolly with acoustic material.

Most small, inexpensive monitors will be a bit tubby due to a 60-cycle hump trying to emulate bass. It's easy to fix with just a touch of eq. Drop the 65hz slider a couple of DB in iTunes, for example, and your acoustic music will sound better. Turn it off for AC/DC.

P

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 14
Okay, I've heard all three and the first one out of the race was the KRK5s. And personally between the A5 and the MR5, I picked the MR5s. They are great value for the money. Personally I love them more since I dont need a sub with them (saves me the money). They can get real low and are tonally neutral. I would recommend the mackies over the rest anyday.

I would also ask to watchout for the yearend sales from the likes of guitarcentre. It can shave off a good 10-15% off the cost price.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 14
As for the klipsch's, you can get them repaired, I think I paid around $90 for someone to repair the board on them making them good as new (actually better). Got another 2 years+ out of the amp, and still running strong.

As for the a5s, I love them, the sub companion brings out the full load of the audio (but it does have a little issue with the volume control on the sub which i'm trying to figure out).

They are the best sounding "computer" speakers i've heard yet, even if they use a mini plug for input.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back