Audioengine A5 vs ?
Jan 8, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I am actually going to be in LA tonight so I am going to try and call the guy. Also, wouldn't the second vandersteen set be better than the klipsch. Do you just prefer the Klipsch because of the price?

Quote:
I think my room is about 14 feet x 22 feet.

Yeah, those Vandersteen 2Cis would be much better than the Klipsches.  They're an all-time classic speaker!  The V.1s are also probably much better than the Klipsches.  You're right - I just highlighted the KG 4.5s because that price is very good.  Oh, and it's a much more sensitive speaker, so the Vandys would probably benefit from a more powerful amplifier (for playing at loud volumes) more so than the Klipsch.

You might want to try offering lower on either of the Vandys; perhaps $400 for the 2s.

That's a really big bedroom!  You should have plenty of space for them to breathe.

Here's a Stereophile review for the Vandy 2C: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/914

No monitor will compete with these except perhaps in detail in the highs.  If you've got the room, it's definitely an advantage to go for floorstanding speakers.  Of course, monitors have their place - and can indeed sound great.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 30

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your help, what is the cheapest amp you recommed using with either of the Vandy's?

Hmm.  I'm not really sure.  I like Adcoms and Carvers for the value in terms of power and sound quality.  If you're going to be controlling the volume with your computer or DAC, you could get just a regular power amp.  Otherwise, an integrated amp, receiver, or a separate passive preamp would be necessary.

Quote:
and are there going to be any problems with buying older speakers.

Generally not, at long as all the drivers check out fine (no rubbing the coil, bad foam [which can be fixed], or just plain blown drivers).  Speakers pretty much either work or don't work.  The only thing you can't tell by looking is the condition of the crossover capacitors.  Electrolytics do wear out over time, but they're relatively cheap and easy to replace.  I've never heard of old ones causing any damage either.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
What do you think of the polk audio tsi300s compared to the model 1 vandys? And what about the pyle amps on amazon 75wpc seems like a good deal for 50 bucks. Thanks!

The Polks are inexpensive, okay for the price speakers.  They're a bit bright and definitely bass deficient, but are fairly detailed.  The finish is very cheap.  Those Klipsches are going to be better (looks like they already sold), and the Vandersteen Model 1 is definitely another step up from either (as is the Model 2 over the 1).

I don't know about the Pyle amps.  They probably sound fine, but be warned that it's really only a 15 WPC amp at 1% distortion; the 75 WPC rating is at an unlistenable 10% distortion.  Compare to this 75 WPC at 0.9% distortion (into 8 ohms) Harman Kardon receiver available for $50:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2149077854.html

But if you get reasonably efficient speakers, you may not need the extra power.  Still, myself I'd rather go for something used or one of the Dayton amps (I like the DTA-1 a whole lot).

Quote:

If you're looking for detail, excellent soundstaging, or anything but a party speaker, I'd look elsewhere than a pair of Cerwin Vegas...

Another search of the O.C. CL leads me to this pair of Polk SDA 2A speakers, far better than anything they have today:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2151121035.html

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #23 of 30

Quote:

If you're looking for detail, excellent soundstaging, or anything but a party speaker, I'd look elsewhere than a pair of Cerwin Vegas...

True but i enjoy there fun bass heavy sound.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
   Quote:

True but i enjoy there fun bass heavy sound.

Yes, perhaps for casual listening of rock music they would be the best choice for a new speaker at $200 and under.  I still think buying used will get you a whole lot more for the money.

O.P., I've found another listing in Orange County that would be perfect for you.  These $90 Infinities use the excellent EMIT-R tweeter and the 5" mid and 10" woofer cones are very good IMG cones:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2155307401.html

They were probably around $800 new in the early '90s, and were not a bad value then.  Today you'd probably have to pay $600 for MMGs to equal or better them.  For $90 they're a no-brainer.  Spend the money you save on a good amp.  That Harman Kardon would work well with them.  Another option would be an NAD integrated amp, which are readily available on eBay in the $100 range - probably the best value for something with a volume control.  But I'd get that Harman Kardon at that price - and you'd still be paying less overall than if you got a pair of Audioengine A2s...

Just make sure if you do get the Infinities to get something with a decent amount of power if you rock them loud.  50 WPC with reserves for big dynamic peaks will be fine.  If you get an amp that isn't powerful enough, clipping will blow fuzes or fry the tweeters.  OTOH, don't get obsessed about power.  More isn't better once you have enough.  Usually.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 30
Thank you for the long detailed replys, you have really helped me a lot. I would prefer something in the last few years and I have seen some pretty good deals on ebay and craigslist for the polk audio monitor 60 is that still a huge difference from the Vandy's. I have been really busy so I have not been able to go and listen to the Vandys, but I'm going to try tommorow.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Glad to be of help!

Quote:
Thank you for the long detailed replys, you have really helped me a lot. I would prefer something in the last few years and I have seen some pretty good deals on ebay and craigslist for the polk audio monitor 60 is that still a huge difference from the Vandy's. I have been really busy so I have not been able to go and listen to the Vandys, but I'm going to try tommorow.

Yes, I've heard the Monitor 60s and they don't impress me at all.  Reasonably detailed (in comparison to Cerwin Vegas, anyway), but nowhere near the performance of Infinities with the EMIT tweeters.  A friend owned them, then bought TSi300s, sold the 60s based on the sound, and then sold the 300s when he got a pair of '90s Polk RTA-11 speakers that crush both of them (and he paid less too).  The newer Polks are quite bright and lack mid and bass definition (and certainly bass quantity) in comparison to older Polks.

I honestly haven't heard any Vandersteens; I'm just going on word-of-mouth and reviews here.  The Infinities may well be close to them in performance, but I haven't heard that model either.  I wouldn't hesitate to make either pair the rears to my Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers up front.

Well designed older speakers are rarely, if ever, inferior to new ones.  There have been minor advances in speaker technology over the years, especially in terms of more esoteric designs, but above all the biggest improvement in speakers from a manufacturer's point of view has been in cost-of-manufacture.

Plastics design in particular has revolutionized speaker design in ways that are not always good.  Yes, in the form of Kapton in Infinity speakers or well designed polyvinyl woofer cones they're a good thing - and many other aspects as well.  But when it comes to cheaply designed tweeters, woofers, vinyl fake veneer, and more, cheap speakers are just that - cheap speakers.  That includes all of those inexpensive Polks, and pretty much anything else you'll see in a big box store.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 30
Just wanted to let you know, I went to see the Vandersteens, and something didn't seem to be working right. They sounded below average and unimpressive. So after that I went to Best Buy to see what they had there, and I really liked the tsi300 and the tsi400 so I ended up ordering the 300 last night. Just personal preference I guess. Thanks anyway!

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 30
I have had the A5 and M-Audio BX5a and much preferred the BX5a because its tweeter is great

A5 sounds like something from HD650, somewhat warm overall sound from low end to the midrange with soft highs. They sound mellow to me, not forward enough for my tastes

BX5a sounded similar to my K701, very apparent clean highs and forward midrange but not as much bass. They may sound bright to some people's ears. BX5a are studio monitors so they are more neutral sounding, whether this is a good thing is entirely up to your preferences.

The A5 was on the radar for convenience but I've recently thought about bang for buck in passive speakers. That bolded comment though may have put it back on top simply because I love the HD650 and also hunting for the right components is daunting for a speaker noob like me.

@ BlackbeardBen - what are your thoughts on Dali speakers, particularly the Ikon range?

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know, I went to see the Vandersteens, and something didn't seem to be working right. They sounded below average and unimpressive. So after that I went to Best Buy to see what they had there, and I really liked the tsi300 and the tsi400 so I ended up ordering the 300 last night. Just personal preference I guess. Thanks anyway!

Hmm.  Sounds like something indeed wasn't right, be it the speakers, positioning, amp, or whatever.  I hope you like the Polks - I know I don't really (they're not bad at all) - so like you said, it's down to personal preference.

Quote:
Quote:
I have had the A5 and M-Audio BX5a and much preferred the BX5a because its tweeter is great

A5 sounds like something from HD650, somewhat warm overall sound from low end to the midrange with soft highs. They sound mellow to me, not forward enough for my tastes

BX5a sounded similar to my K701, very apparent clean highs and forward midrange but not as much bass. They may sound bright to some people's ears. BX5a are studio monitors so they are more neutral sounding, whether this is a good thing is entirely up to your preferences.

The A5 was on the radar for convenience but I've recently thought about bang for buck in passive speakers. That bolded comment though may have put it back on top simply because I love the HD650 and also hunting for the right components is daunting for a speaker noob like me.

@ BlackbeardBen - what are your thoughts on Dali speakers, particularly the Ikon range?

kite7's comment definitely has me thinking that if I ever end up going for powered monitors, the A5 are definitely up my alley.  Although I think I'd rather get Wharfdale Diamond 9.1s instead.  I think my Klipsch B-2 + DTA-1 ought to keep me from spending that money, however.

Anyway, I've honestly never heard any Dalis, and I don't really know anything about them other than they are Danish.

I see the Ikons have ribbon supertweeters, so that's definitely a plus in my book - I'd love to give them a try.  Actually, I really should do that, considering that the hi-fi dealer here in Skövde is a Dali dealer.  I don't remember seeing any of their ribbon offerings there though - I probably would've tried them already if I had.

In fact, I think they'll go on my short list of modern speaker manufacturers that interest me.  VMPS is another one of those - aside from Genesis, they're the company that makes speakers closest to how Infinity used to.

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #30 of 30
The A5 has more bass than the BX5a hands down. I think the BX5a is meant to be paired with a sub anyway though. Also look at the KRK RP6 G2.

If you want to stay 2.0 with enough bass you might want to stick with the A5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back