Audioengine A5 vs ?
Jan 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

asadkaramally

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a setup to listen to music in my relatively large bedroom. I will be listening to Rock, Pop,and Alternative mostly Owl City, Coldplay, U2, Eagles, AC-DC. What do you guys recommend under $400. From what I've read it seems like the Audioengine A5's would be the best choice even though they're only two speakers. Would I be better going with a full 5.1 or 7.1 system, if so which is best for under $400. 
Thanks in Advance!

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 30
Well, certainly not a 5.1 system for music, unless you're listening to multichannel SACD/DVD Audio...  And that's both out of your budget and not what you're looking to do (I presume).

Are you looking for something to fit on a desktop or similar, and using a computer as a source?

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 30
I have had the A5 and M-Audio BX5a and much preferred the BX5a because its tweeter is great

A5 sounds like something from HD650, somewhat warm overall sound from low end to the midrange with soft highs. They sound mellow to me, not forward enough for my tastes

BX5a sounded similar to my K701, very apparent clean highs and forward midrange but not as much bass. They may sound bright to some people's ears. BX5a are studio monitors so they are more neutral sounding, whether this is a good thing is entirely up to your preferences.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Whether it fits on my desktop or not will not bother me, but I am going to be using a computer for the source. Thanks!

Quote:
I would prefer something with plenty of bass, also will I be able to wall mount all of these?

I guess where I was trying to go with my question is, would floorstanding speakers or large bookshelf speakers suit you?  If so, there's a rich market for used speakers - a buyer's market to be sure.  In fact, the market is so favorable to buyers that you'd have to be crazy or not care about money at all to buy new speakers (desktop monitors excluded).

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
They might suit me but then I would have to get a receiver and that takes up a lot of space and seems like it is overdoing it.

No, no necessarily.  Check these out:

Dayton DTA-1
Dayton DTA-100a

I have the Dayton DTA-1; it's unbelievably good within its power range.  It's perfect for monitors or efficient speakers.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 30
If you want bass you should go with a 2.1 setup, the best 2.1 in you price range is the edifier s730, the sub is quite large but the bookshelf speakers are wall mountable.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
The problem is that most of the speakers I am finding on the orangecounty craigslist are either very large, or I don't know if they are reputable brands/good speakers.
Thanks

What's your definition of very large speakers?  Also, you said these are for a large bedroom - exactly what size?

I understand the difficulty of finding good used speakers, especially when you're not familiar with the different manufacturers.

If I was there right now and looking for speakers, I'd probably get these Klipsch KG 4.5s:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ele/2148952524.html
Klipsch's website on them: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/kg-4-5-overview/

That's a really good deal.  A really good deal  These were $800 speakers 15 years ago, and speaker technology hasn't changed much in the meantime.  They aren't small, no.  But they're not huge either.  Just about a 1' square footprint and just over 3' tall.  Easily transportable in a small car, and so much better than any small bookshelfs or monitors.  (Their sensitivity is great at 95 dB/1 W/1 m.)

Pair them with the 50 Wpc Dayton (or the receiver the guy ha got)  and you've got a killer setup for under $200.

For more money there's some great Vandersteen speakers nearby too:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2150399919.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/2147390236.html

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 30
Thanks a lot, I am actually going to be in LA tonight so I am going to try and call the guy. Also, wouldn't the second vandersteen set be better than the klipsch. Do you just prefer the Klipsch because of the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back