Audioengine a5+ vs. KRK Rokit 6 G3 vs. KRK Rokit 8 G3
Jun 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zceyee

New Head-Fier
So, the end of this thread will probably end up with an order.

I want them for music listening, from my notebook. I do have Fiio E10 OLYMPUS.
KRK speakers would probably need a new DAC with cinch outputs.

I do have absolutely no chance to test them.

There is a fourth option that I will save some more money and buy a car, meh.

Suggestions?

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 13
RP6's are very nice for musical listening,pretty warm sounding for studio monitors.  I found the 8's to be HUGE and the increase in bass extension was not that obvious unless you play seriously low frequencies and you have a good ear, and I would rather have 6's with a sub than the 8;s.

I wouldnt even put the audioengines in the same league, the third gen RP series are a big improvement over the 2nd gen IMO and even they were better than anything audioengine ever made.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 13
  To complicate things, the Adam F5 and Epoz AktiMate Mini speakers are excellent as well. My neighbor owned a pair of each at some point, and I thought both sounded excellent.  I haven't had a chance to compare them to the Audioengines or the KRKs.

I had a pair of the Adam F5's a short time back and they were mindblowing. My headphone setup at the time (Lyr + HE-500) collected dust while the Adams were in my possession - they were by far the best audio investment I've ever made. Like dizzyorange, I haven't had the opportunity to compare them to the other speakers, but John Grandberg from Innerfidelity did a direct comparison with the A5+'s and suggested that the Adams were in an entirely different league. OTOH, to be fair, the Adams are also markedly more expensive than the Audioengines.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 13

I had a pair of the Adam F5's a short time back and they were mindblowing. My headphone setup at the time (Lyr + HE-500) collected dust while the Adams were in my possession - they were by far the best audio investment I've ever made. Like dizzyorange, I haven't had the opportunity to compare them to the other speakers, but John Grandberg from Innerfidelity did a direct comparison with the A5+'s and suggested that the Adams were in an entirely different league. OTOH, to be fair, the Adams are also markedly more expensive than the Audioengines.

I'm getting my paws on a pair of Adam A5x's next month :) :) (sorry to threadjack)

OP: Check out the Emotiva series as well, they're usually well regarded.

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 13
Ah, you mean probably Adam Audio ARTIST 5 and not Adam Audio F5 hmm ...

I was referring to the F5. They should be going for about $550/pair street price right now, so not too bad in terms of affordability. If you shop around by emailing some retailers (SonicSense, Zzounds, etc), they might be able to offer you an even lower price, as there are restrictions that prevent them from advertising a price below the MSRP.

I'm getting my paws on a pair of Adam A5x's next month :) :) (sorry to threadjack)

OP: Check out the Emotiva series as well, they're usually well regarded.

My new F7's are coming tomorrow, and my new preamp is coming today. I can't wait - it's going to be a great week!
cool.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 13

I was referring to the F5. They should be going for about $550/pair street price right now, so not too bad in terms of affordability. If you shop around by emailing some retailers (SonicSense, Zzounds, etc), they might be able to offer you an even lower price, as there are restrictions that prevent them from advertising a price below the MSRP.

My new F7's are coming tomorrow, and my new preamp is coming today. I can't wait - it's going to be a great week!
cool.gif

Nice.  One question I'll have for you when you get them: does the woofer dome look like the pictures?  I mean by how it's seems angular and not round?

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 13
If you don't mind used, BH photo has the G2's for cheap(~$250 pair shipped). I have the KRK Rokit 6's, upgraded from Audioengine A5's. Quite pleased with them because better bass and mids.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801069323-USE/KRK_RP8G2_RoKit_8_G2_90W.html?gclid=CjkKEQjwwbCcBRCxvJn9-N6dorwBEiQAVriOimLQ6WTketIba-hTsV4sSsljmwR5jCdOlLIJ7020wwDw_wcB

I can't comment on the others though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back