Audioengine A5+-subwoofer pairing settings
Feb 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

poloblanco

New Head-Fier
I recently got a new audio setup:

-Audioengine A5+ speakers
-Polk PSW10 subwoofer
-Audioengine D1 DAC

I have a couple questions regarding the settings for the subwoofer when paired with the A5+s. What should they be? Will certain settings yield better sound with this combination of speakers and subwoofer, or is it subjective?

Options/Variables:
--Low Pass (80-160Hz)
--Phase switch (0° or 180°)

For anyone who owns or has experience with the A5+, how do you set the volume on the A5+ and on your audio source. Do you control the volume from the audio source or from the speakers?

Also, the A5+ powered speaker has the volume knob. How can you tell how close it is to its maximum volume level? There are no markings to indicate volume. I have a general idea by how loud it is, but is there a more precise or definite way of telling?

Any suggestions you might have about this setup, do share.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 3
If the subwoofer is in the front soundstage area near your speakers, probably the phase = 0 is best. But you can try it either way and see which you like better.

Normally you want to set the crossover on the sub near the low frequency rolloff of the speakers. Since the crossover on the PSW10 only goes down to 80hz, but your speakers go lower, 80hz is your best bet. But once again, if you like how it sounds set higher up, go for it. No harm done.

You should determine maximum volume as when the speakers start to distort. If they do, then back it off. Can't count on a number on the dial because it may be different depending on the strength of the input signal from the D1, which is somewhat dependent on what you are playing.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 3
I have A5+'s, a 64GIG IPod Touch and a NuForce Icon iDo. I adjust the volume from the iDo as the Touch is at full volume. 

I don't touch the A5+ volume as I set it as directed from Audioengne Tec support-"The A5+ will blink its LED indicator light each time the volume has adjusted.  There are about 50 steps or "blinks" from 0 to 100 percent volume.  The easiest way to to get to about 11 to 12 "o'clock" would be to adjust the volume all the way down, and then count the blinks up to 20-25.  You're absolutely correct, pressing the volume knob in or pressing the half moon button on the remote will put the speakers into a deep sleep cycle where it draws only around 4W.  Hope this helps.  Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back