AudioEngine A5|Sennheiser HD-595, Do I need a DAC?
May 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yunaforever009

Head-Fier
So, I am about to purchase a pair of the A5s and a HD-595 for use with my Sager laptop and am wondering if I should invest in an USB sound card and a DAC or just a decent sound card.... I am finding myself in unfamiliar waters with DAC's and USB Sound cards and what not.... Help?

Thanks in advance!

May 25, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 11
Well, my budget is pushed very tight because I am thinking of going with the A5 instead of the A2.... so something under a 100$ or at most, 150.

I would rather have really good speakers and work on the accouterments as time goes on....

May 25, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 11
A good choice for sure. At that price I would look into securing a banthamdac by a DIYer (have only read the rave reviews, plan on making one myself for a second system soonish) and saving up for a better source later on. I owned the A2's and they were very source dependent and scaled up well.

May 25, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 11
If you are using those(the A5s), as the desk speakers, I recommend you the A2s instead.
Though I don't have the A2s, I own the A5s.
They definitely need the speaker stands to sound properly. The bass is boomy, muffled, and the image, sound separation is not as good.
Of course with the proper desktop treatments they are gonna sound better, but their size is just too big for placing on a desk.

Save yourself some cash and upgrade the soundcard instead. And maybe you can get some proper table stands for the A2s.

May 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Do you have a picture of your A5 setup? I'm trying to figure if I have space for the A5 with speaker stands, are you referring to the basic speaker stands listed at Audioengine.com?

And thank you for your insight!

May 31, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using those(the A5s), as the desk speakers, I recommend you the A2s instead.
Though I don't have the A2s, I own the A5s.
They definitely need the speaker stands to sound properly. The bass is boomy, muffled, and the image, sound separation is not as good.
Of course with the proper desktop treatments they are gonna sound better, but their size is just too big for placing on a desk.

Save yourself some cash and upgrade the soundcard instead. And maybe you can get some proper table stands for the A2s.

Audioengine now stocks a stand made for the A2s.

I tried them and the difference is not subtle. A nice improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back