Audioengine A5+ / S8 Combo Upgrade
Feb 11, 2016 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kolkoo

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Been reading a lot for some time and can't make up my mind.

So I've had Audioengine A5+ and later on I added the S8 Sub, now let me start with saying not much thinking went into these purchases, but overall I'm satisfied with them.

Latey, though, I've gotten the itch to upgrade and I've decided to keep the S8 and upgrade the A5+es. So I need some advice that's why I'm here.

Let me start by saying my price range would be around 600 euros MAX (if I can get away with cheaper I would prefer that).

I checkout Emotiva Airmotiv 6s but I'm located in Europe so after getting a shipping price of about 500$ and the pair currently can be reserved for 499$ I decided I'd rather look at european alternatives. So I checked out Adam Audio F5, F7, Focal Alpha 65s and lots of monitors in the same price category but I'm not sure what to pick. Plus also not sure if all of these will play well with the S8.

So I'm looking for upgrade recommendations and or suggestions as to what to look for in my situation.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am/will be using Schiit Bifrost multibit as DAC and Lyr2 as a preamp to these.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 17
AVI DM5 from AVI Hifi UK

It will blow away any Adam Audio speaker or Focal speaker at any price.

In fact it will likely blow away most stuff under 10k pounds. Whether you like it or not.

It is a well kept secret. Visit HDDAudio.net

Read on AVI ADM9 and AVI DM5.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 17
Can't fit these in my price range especially since my country(Bulgaria) apparently is a separate shipping zone for AVI products and costs +109 GBP. (What)

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 17
Okay. They will be end game. Even if you try to find the best within 10k pounds DM5s and DM10s are the ones to go for.

I strongly beg you to save up to learn what I'm talking about.

If money is really tight, wait and save for DM5s. They will be your end game for life.

If you have to have to buy now, go for Aktimate Mini+ B and save the rest.

Aktimates are a big step up from Audioengines.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 17
Ok you actually sound really convincing :D Money is not tight, so I might just give it a serious thought, thanks for the tip!

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 17
Head over to HDDAudio.net and read more.

People routinely change from 5k to 15k pound setups to upgrade to AVI speakers. The best so far was somebody who had 30k pound speakers and found the AVIs an upgrade.

Any of AVI's recent speakers are also a big upgrade from ATC flagships. Genelec or Adam flagships don't even compete.

I have myself heard setups that cost 10 to 30k pounds and AVI speakers match/beat them based in the criteria.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 17
Just one thing is the price is per pair - or is it per single monitor?"

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 17
Head over to HDDAudio.net and read more.

People routinely change from 5k to 15k pound setups to upgrade to AVI speakers. The best so far was somebody who had 30k pound speakers and found the AVIs an upgrade.

Any of AVI's recent speakers are also a big upgrade from ATC flagships. Genelec or Adam flagships don't even compete.

I have myself heard setups that cost 10 to 30k pounds and AVI speakers match/beat them based in the criteria.

Really?? It is NOT a personal attack on you, but you should stop recommending people speakers over other speakers you have not even heard. Genelec and Adam flagships, I doubt you have heard them. You have just read reviews here and there and post everywhere. You were already banned under the name "Techboy" for such nonsense. I also remember you recommending an amp to use with the Sennheiser RS220 and still arguing over and over again.

In a nutshell, you have an AVI and A5 speakers, HD650, HD 598, an ember amp and some other things..I don't know if I am allowed to post links to other forums, but here is a taste: (http://diyah.boards.net/thread/477/congratulate-me). You have polluted every possible audio forum out there. How can you actually comment on the HD800, Focal/Adam flagships, etc baffles me.

Here the OP has asked a simple question and stated his budget. That guy recommends a £1500 speaker.. Its people like you that give Head-fi a bad rep. I don't post a lot on Head-fi, but I lurk from time to time. It is just plain wrong.

My apologies if it seemed as a personal attack and I don't know if I should have posted this here. Regards

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Guys, don't fight, it's not like I will buy whatever is suggested instantly :) I am trying to stay as objective as possible and I will read up/do my own research on anything mentioned here, so I appreciate any suggestions and effort and ideas thrown at me! Thanks again.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 17
I don't know if the JBL LSR305s are an upgrade, but I prefer them to the Adams. Its personal taste, have a listen first. Also are you going to use them as nearfields? Proper Sub placement was a pain for me.
I also bought mine from Thomann in Europe. I have always bought from them and returns were never a hassle. I never heard the Focals unfortunately.. Good luck in finding your speakers, trust your ears first

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 17
  Guys, don't fight, it's not like I will buy whatever is suggested instantly :) I am trying to stay as objective as possible and I will read up/do my own research on anything mentioned here, so I appreciate any suggestions and effort and ideas thrown at me! Thanks again.

My two cents.
You might consider sell off the A5+ and S8 and replace with the JBL LSR305 and JBL LSR310.
The LSR305/310 combo would cost 744 Euro ($842), shipped from Thomann

Here in the USA a pair of Audioengine A5+ with S8 would sell for $850 (748 Euros).
So if you could sell off the Audioengine stuff for 500 or 550 Euros, it would only cost you another 200 Euros for the JBL, plus a few Euros for cables.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 17
I can actually get 2x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S for around 868$ from a local seller here... the question is how much of an upgrade that would be over the Audioengine combo

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 17
  I can actually get 2x LSR305 + 1 x LSR310S for around 868$ from a local seller here... the question is how much of an upgrade that would be over the Audioengine combo

Someone pointed out the Audioengine A5+ are the kind of stuff sold to the consumers and comes with extra bells and whistles.
Where as the LSR305 are sold at places where the buyer is more into serious audio creation.
The A5+ comes with two amplifiers, both in one unit, where one of the amplifiers is connected to the other unit.
Each JBL LSR305 comes with two amplifiers built in to each unit.

The LSR305 and LSR310S can be connected to each other using a balanced connection (or un-balanced connection).
Where as the A5+ only come with an unbalanced connection.

The S8 is a 8" sub-woofer, where as the LSR310S is 10" (bigger is better).

Put your Audioengine up for sale, advertise it for $600 and see what offers come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back