Audioengine A5 question
Sep 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ljhodad

New Head-Fier
I've been happy with them, but plan to supplement the bass with an existing subwoofer. Since the sub does not have an adjustable crossover, I'd like to see the shape of the low roll-off of the A5 (not just use the 50Hz spec.) to see a good point for the sub (that is spec'd at 25-150Hz) to come in. Right now I'm planning to use two 150Hz low pass FMODs in series to get 75Hz@-24db/octave slope so as not to fatten up the mid-bass too much. Can anyone point to an A5 response curve graph similar to page 3 of: http://www.audioengineusa.com/A2%20r...2%20Review.pdf for the A2? Regardless of replies, I'll post a follow-up once the crossover modules arrive and are in-line so you might know how well they play together. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 2
The LMODs (Part-Express 266-256) arrived today in the mail. Before I plugged them in the line-out cable, I listened again (sub only) to what it sounded like - it sounded like putting your ear against the wall outside of a venue - not good. I first put one in and gave it a try, and there was improvement with less high-end distorted noise, but because it was a -12dB slope, there was still too much above 150Hz leaking through. The other (sold in pairs) was put in series, and it was even a better degree of improvement than before. Below 80Hz is generally agreed to be non-directional, so that helped too. The 75Hz@-24dB slope came in as the A5s were petering out on their way to the rated 50Hz; no real mid-base hump was noticed (though not measured). Though the sub (from an old Cambridge 550) is rated to 25Hz, it is really only effective down to around 40Hz, so I only picked up a little bottom end, but it extended out the sound nicely as I turned the A5s back up to listening level. With 24/96 (dynamic) material I had to keep the sub volume low to avoid distortion. All in all, a good purchase to buy me time to save for a decent sub with an adjustable crossover and still enjoy what I have in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back