Audioengine A5 - Left Channel Died?
Feb 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bencho

New Head-Fier
Has anyone else had an issue with their left channel just suddenly giving out?

Powered mine up and the left channel just gives a slight pop when I try to play sound. Right channel is fine.
Tested different cables, sources, inputs.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 15
I have the same problem... still don't know what causes it.. Its living in his box now

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Does anyone know if it's just a bad part on the amp? AE wants $80 and my shipping to get it repaired.
I hope its not like my Promedia 5.1 Ultras... where the damn amp kept dying on me, repair after repair.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 15
Does anyone know if it's just a bad part on the amp? AE wants $80 and my shipping to get it repaired.
I hope its not like my Promedia 5.1 Ultras... where the damn amp kept dying on me, repair after repair.

Sorry that happened. I know this doesn't help, but this is why I got away from powered speakers. At least with separate amplification and passive speakers, one doesn't have to ship the whole setup back, and one has the option of replacing a problematic amp without having to buy new speakers, too. Plus, home audio receivers and amps have a good reputation for decent life span, and passive speakers can last decades if not abused. I just have this gut feeling that amplification in many powered speaker sets is not designed with the same longevity.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 15
I think Audioengine A5s have quite the reputation for frying. That's one of the reasons they came out with the A5+ which was supposed to address the problem. I don't know how successful the fix has been.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 15
I think Audioengine A5s have quite the reputation for frying. That's one of the reasons they came out with the A5+ which was supposed to address the problem. I don't know how successful the fix has been.

Yeah. And you don't have to worry. You have a disposable amp. Probably could as much in shipping both ways to fix it than it would to replace it :D

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Yeah. And you don't have to worry. You have a disposable amp. Probably could as much in shipping both ways to fix it than it would to replace it
biggrin.gif

Exactly. 
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 15
WOw... I didnt know AE had that same reputation. I really dont want to have to keep sending in mine to repair
Im in San Francisco. Are there any places that would take AE and repair them?

I havent dived into the whole passive/receiver setup yet. Perhaps I should :frowning2:
I use my speakers for like everything right now. PC gaming, movies, music.
I don't have any need for more than a 2.1.

Now... would I be able to use 1 Receiver to power 2 separate sets of 2.1's? so I could use 1 for my PC. and then 1 for my TV

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Now... would I be able to use 1 Receiver to power 2 separate sets of 2.1's? so I could use 1 for my PC. and then 1 for my TV

Yes and no.

A lot of AVRs have both 5.1 and the option to hook up a second set of "B" front speakers.

So what you could is pick one set as primary. Whichever one you mainly use for watching blu-rays or DVDs because they have the true .1 channel encoded. Hook it up like normal connecting the sub to the sub line out. Use all the fancy crossover features.

Then you could hook a set of speakers to the "B" front speakers. Select a sub that has speaker level input and output. So receiver B speaker outputs to sub, then to speakers. Then you'd have to use the built in sub crossover to tune it with the speakers.

Or even better, get dual matching subs. Set 'em up in your room to give you an even response throughout, no matter where you are sitting. Hook both of them to the sub line out on the receiver. Then you would use both regardless of whether you were using the A speaker set or the B speaker set.

BTW: Most AVRs output 40 to 50% more power when driving only 1 pair of speakers vs. 5.0. So it's not a waste of amplifier power like some people believe.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Now I'm a lil confused.... with the whole matching of sub thing.

I just relocated so I'm back down to a bare bones setup. When I get settled, I'm moving back to a triple monitor + big tv setup.
Ideally, I'd like to have a 2.1 for my PC... and then a 2.1 for my TV.
I would want to be able to use them in all combinations... i.e. PC only, TV only, PC + TV

Because the sound could potentially be coming from the TV only if I have the TV on... or if I'm just PC gaming... or if I want to throw some background music on and play a video/netflix from my PC on the big screen.

Why do I need that matching you speak of?

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 15
You mean dual matching subs? It's a best practice for audio setup. It's much easier to get dual matching subs to cooperate in a room than mis-matched ones.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 15
What you'd have to do is see if you can find a receiver that (x) has A and B front speaker options and (y) let's you set crossovers independently for each set of speakers with the sub and set channel levels for the speakers. Then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm only speculating that (y) is possible. I've never tried to see if you can configure the sub with the B speakers, or even if the sub works with the B speakers. Could be that a receiver might not integrate the sub at all with the B speakers. You'd want to research that on an audio receiver forum to see what people say.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 15
You can always get a regular stereo receiver and hook the subs inline with the speakers in the way I described earlier.

But trying to run both sets of speakers at the same time will probably sound like crap anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back