Audioengine A5+ connection options help
Apr 2, 2013 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Magnum26

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've been looking at the Audioengine A5+ speakers and the Aktimate Mini+, which I have decided would be nice for my tv sound system, however my current setup isn't able to play 1080p files as I wanted and doesn't have the required connection to go to the speakers. So I've been looking at a new setup. 

Current Setup:

HP N40L Ubuntu Server running Plex media Server (and various other services) which is currently connected to an Android MK808 wirlessly over the network (http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK808-Android-Rockchip-RK3066-Cortex-A9/dp/B009NNXY1W) to the TV (Samsung LE40M87BD).

I saw last night the Roku 2 XS which has a 3.5mm jack output, which I'm guessing would be ok to go to the speakers? It also has a direct ethernet connection (I have a gigabit switch) which my current MK808 lacks and has fairly unstable wireless connection (even though it is more or less sat on the router). I'd also be looking to add a sub in the future.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? I'm also open to suggestions for other speakers. I'd probably be getting a wall mount unit as well. Ideally prices and links in UK £GBP please. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 5
No-one?

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Wow, those Aktimates look really similar to the A5+s.  Have you had a chance to hear either, or just looking at reviews so far?  I wonder how they compare soundwise.

Other than the lack of 1080p playback,  how do you like that little android thing?  will it do 720?  I've always thought one of those would be sweet with XBMC for android.  Do you know if the Rockchip supports neon?

Most powered speakers work with a headphone jack from a computer,  I'd expect the one on the Roku to work similar.

I love the look of a sleek simple setup like a set of powered speakers.  FWIW I've been using a set of A5+ and an Audioengines S8 sub with an atom based HTPC running XBMC and have really enjoyed it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Wow, those Aktimates look really similar to the A5+s.  Have you had a chance to hear either, or just looking at reviews so far?  I wonder how they compare soundwise.

Other than the lack of 1080p playback,  how do you like that little android thing?  will it do 720?  I've always thought one of those would be sweet with XBMC for android.  Do you know if the Rockchip supports neon?

Most powered speakers work with a headphone jack from a computer,  I'd expect the one on the Roku to work similar.

I love the look of a sleek simple setup like a set of powered speakers.  FWIW I've been using a set of A5+ and an Audioengines S8 sub with an atom based HTPC running XBMC and have really enjoyed it.

No I haven't heard either really I'm mainly going on reviews and thoughts on here about them.

I think with the 1080p that it is the file, some of the files play "ok" might depend on the compression etc. Other than 1080p it's actually pretty good. Seems to play anything else pretty well. My Mrs uses it for watching her tv shows as well.

What's Neon?

Yeah that's what I was thinking with the 3.5mm jack to RCA would do nicely. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back