AudioEngine A5 competition
Mar 30, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
I have the A5's and personally if I ever buy another set of 2.0 speakers, it would be the bamboo version of the A5's. They sound so nice....

Those bamboo ones sound pretty cool, although I can't find any pictures of them...

Quote:
The only reason you will choose Promedia 2.1 over the A5 is because the added subwoofer.

Right, I do like the subwoofer.  So am I going to be losing bass if I switch to A5?

Quote:
I compared the A5's at home with the M-Audio BX5a and the Swan D1080MkII 08.  They were all good, but the M-audio's lacked quality bass. The A5's and the Swan's were so close, I had trouble picking a "winner". I went back and forth for over a week. Finally I picked the Swan's because I seemed to like the overall sound better, especially the mid-range, and they were over $100 less, and I couldn't ignore that. Anyway's you can't go wrong with either set of speakers. I also ended up getting an Atlantic tech Sub SB800 from Audio Advisor on sale for $201 which really helps add some punch to the bass.

I haven't heard of the Swan before, I'll have to check into those as well now!  Any chance of a comparison between Swan and my Promedia 2.1?

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 28
http://www.google.com/images?q=a5+bamboo&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=656

you cant?

The A5's have TONS of bass, but since they are 5 inch drivers, dont expect to feel the air vibrating from across the room. If you put them on your desk, you will definately be getting more sound than you can safely handle. They can get LOUD. but if you have a measly 5-7 inch sub you will lose no bass.

The swans are nice, I dont know how much they cost. The MK200mkII and the MK1080mkII are supposed to have great sound just like the A5's and they look much nicer. It really depends on your room layout. For example, i have a 9x9 room and no matter what speaker layout I pick there will be certain places where certain frequencies will get their volumes distorted. I need to either create sound damping panels for underneath my desk and bed or find a new place for the speakers where my desk and bed wont resonate.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 28
Mar 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #20 of 28
Thanks shrimants... guess I'm busted, I didn't try real hard to find a picture, just looked at the picture on Amazon!  Your comments are very helpful though.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 28
Thats not what I meant for "damping panels". That wont really help in my situation. Think of it like this: if you take a hollow tube, then sing a low note into it and keep raising your pitch to higher notes, there will be certain notes that come out loud and certain notes that are soft. that is because the way sound waves bounce around in the tube, there are certain resonant frequencies. Similarly, the way sound bounces around in my room, certain objects and the air underneath certain objects vibrates at certain frequencies, usually ones between 30 and 80 hz. This makes the speakers sound very off balance and bass heavy even though they are technically perfectly balanced.

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/Sound-Absorbing-Panels-Sound-Absorbant-Panels-Sound-Absorpant-Panels-Sound-Damping-Panels.aspx
these are the solution, or something similar. One attached to the bottom of the desk and one attached to the bottom of the bed and all the places where sound can bounce around and create constructive/destructive interference with itself by bouncing around. How do I know that this is the problem? because i've tried angling the speakers to different places and if I place something soft directly in front of the speakers, the sound is suddenly uniform in the entire room.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
Thats not what I meant for "damping panels".
http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/Sound-Absorbing-Panels-Sound-Absorbant-Panels-Sound-Absorpant-Panels-Sound-Damping-Panels.aspx
these are the solution, or something similar. One attached to the bottom of the desk and one attached to the bottom of the bed and all the places where sound can bounce around and create constructive/destructive interference with itself by bouncing around. How do I know that this is the problem? because i've tried angling the speakers to different places and if I place something soft directly in front of the speakers, the sound is suddenly uniform in the entire room.

Thanks Shrimants,

I need to find some affordable Bass Traps for my room corners and sound absorbing panels for my walls.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #23 of 28
there are probably much cheaper DIY options and store-bought options than that. I just googled "sound damping panels" and that was the first thing that popped up. I know home depot sells something for sound damping.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 28
How about Bamboo? Is it worth $125 more ($449)? I've noticed some honky resonance with my brand-new A2, and I'm wondering if it's the housing material or if it will go away with burn-in.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #26 of 28
yeah man A2's are just smaller versions of the A5's. The only difference is the sound is a bit less full bodied and loud (obviously).

From what i've heard, the bamboo ones are completely worth the 125 as they create a much more dynamic and wide sound than the MDF panels. The MDF version is somewhat damped and warm while the bamboo version is bright and has an even bigger sound stage. caused by resonant properties of the bamboo.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 28
I was thinking about getting the a5s as well, but those swans are looking very tempting! And the on the link posted earlier when you buy them you get a set of some nice looking satallite speakers too. Very tempting indeed. Would like more info though like reviews or something.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #28 of 28
The price is off the charts but I love my Genelec 6020s with the 5050 sub.
Killer sound.
I like them so much with my computer that I'm thinking of adding pairs with each tv in my house if I can get good deals. Found mine new in box on eBay for a big discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back