Audioengine A5: Bamboo or Black?
Dec 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
I am torn between either to purchase the Bamboo model at $449 or the Black model at $349. Is there any difference in sound between the two? Are you just paying extra for the Bamboo material? Also, does anybody know if Audioengine has any promotion codes going on? Thanks

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 36
WAF? I'm just confused, I would think that you might be paying $100 just for the Bamboo material but that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I mean, I like the look of the Bamboo but if it's the same exact sound quality, why not save $100?

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 36
Certainly you know about WAF? (Wife Acceptance Factor/Wife Appeal Factor)

I guess some people like to pay a little more for a unique finish on their speakers. After all, they have to look nice when they're not playing anything.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 36
Im quite certain. Box itself is made from same material, but you can get it with different paint jobs or vinyl, like piano black, white and bamboo. As is common in speaker world, they do come in different colors and vinyls (like different wood imitations), just pick one that suits your eye or furniture. If it would sound different, it would be (or should be) a different model all together and not Audioengine A5.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure they same? I mean isn't there SQ different ??

Right from the AE site...

Quote:

Audioengine 5N (A5N) - All of the simple but useful features and same signature sound of the award-winning A5 wrapped in rock solid and beautifully hand-finished bamboo.

However, it is implied that its more than a veneer...
Quote:

Made from renewable and sustainable solid bamboo - no veneers

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 36
If it actually is the enclosure material, not simply a veneer, then it would certainly sound different, though not necessarily better.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 36
No, in fact, it vibrates far more than a guitar, even if less of the overall tonality is due to vibration.

I think you would be quite surprised at the difference the enclosure material makes. Bamboo is much more porous and much less rigid than MDF, which should result in decreased bass response, assuming the entire cabinet is made of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back