Audioengine A5, A2?
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #61 of 78
Yes. I love overall sound. Vocals, guitars... I just love them. They are nice little speakers. Sound stage is also great. And even bass is not so bad. I think that with good position and a little tweaking with EQ they sound better now. But still not perfect.

I must get some stands for them. And some nice cables. Well i dont know where to look for some dekstop stands. Or should i go and made custom ones? What wood will be the best for that?

And what cables do you guys recommend for speakers? I am planning to replace original one with something better.

Jul 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #62 of 78
I just purchased some A5s on Friday...I think they will live up to or surpass my expectations.
smily_headphones1.gif
Was on the fence about paying $350 and then managed to find them brand new for $292.50 shipped thru an authorized retailer.

I also purchased two sets of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s (don't ask) so if the A5s for some reason don't do it for me in the bass department, the PM 2.1s should while taking up less space on my desk...albeit sacrificing floor space for the sub.

Now if I could just find a good deal on a Xonar Essence STX!

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #63 of 78
Yes, the A2's with the S8 are indeed magnificent...at least for what they are.

Coming out of the pre-out on the Compass, the sound is excellent. Balanced, tight, and very detailed...but thanks to the sub I now have that low end 'hit' I like.

I still have some fiddling around to do, with phase and crossover and overall speaker - sub volume levels. But I know subs, and I understand that the tweaking takes time and patience. But eventually you get it right.

I had to switch from the DAC out on the Compass to the Pre-amp out, so I could control the volume of the A2-S8 combination with one volume contol. Using the DAC out, each was controlled by its own volume pot, which is obviously not the way to go.

All in all, I've listened to some Clapton, some Gwen, and now some Ludwig Van...and all of it sounds excellent. My Denon headphones still blow its doors for pure audio quality, but for PC speakers, this is the finest rig I've ever used.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased some A5s on Friday...I think they will live up to or surpass my expectations.
smily_headphones1.gif
Was on the fence about paying $350 and then managed to find them brand new for $292.50 shipped thru an authorized retailer.

I also purchased two sets of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s (don't ask) so if the A5s for some reason don't do it for me in the bass department, the PM 2.1s should while taking up less space on my desk...albeit sacrificing floor space for the sub.

Now if I could just find a good deal on a Xonar Essence STX!

It's $261 shipped on the Audioengine website with the coupon.
wink_face.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by backtoreality15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's $261 shipped on the Audioengine website with the coupon.
wink_face.gif

Hmm. I tried using "MW09" which didn't work (I'd see $261.75 for a split second after applying the code and then the page would quickly refresh back to $349). Is there another one that's confirmed working?

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I tried using "MW09" which didn't work (I'd see $261.75 for a split second after applying the code and then the page would quickly refresh back to $349). Is there another one that's confirmed working?

That is weird. Maybe try using a different computer or browser? My friend ordered his yesterday with the coupon just fine.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #67 of 78
Coupon doesn't work for me either.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #69 of 78
How often do they let out coupons? I probably won't have enough for the A5s for many months to come without one.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #70 of 78
I must say that i am more and more impressed with the A2. They are nice little speakers with good soundstage and enough of details in treble and with good middle range. And there is also bass present there! You just need to tweak EQ good. But i must find right settings. Without EQ they do not sound so good.

But i really need some stands for them. Now i have Auralex MoPADs under them but this is not perfect solution. They are angled but i think that its not enough.
So i was thinking of building my own stands.
I created some designs in Sketchup. But i dont know if this would be good choice for them. Because they will not be angled anymore and i really dont know what would be right height.

Anyway i was thinking to create stands that would look like this:

[size=small]1[/size]

[size=small]2[/size]

[size=small]
3[/size]

What do you think?

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #71 of 78
I really like Number 2.

PS. What did you use to make those sketches?

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #72 of 78
Google sketchup with Scribble on Masonite style. So do you think that this would be good stand. Not just looks but also good enough for them to sound ok?

And what wood would be good?

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #73 of 78
This is unrelated, but I really like your sketches.

As for wood, I recently went to a woodshop to get some wood for speaker stands, and they told me it didn't really matter. I know many speaker stands are made from MDF, but it's hard to work with.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #74 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will not be angled anymore and i really dont know what would be right height.

Anyway i was thinking to create stands that would look like this:

[size=small]1[/size]

[size=small]2[/size]

[size=small]
3[/size]

What do you think?

I think you are on the right track. A 4x4 cut correctly would do you. You just need to use items around the house to play with the height until you have the right combo while changing the distance from the wall behind. One angled cut or spikes would create your tilt. Find the right set-up then build.

The Proac 1sc's mentioned above are amazing!!

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #75 of 78
Try Audioengine's stands for their A2s -- they really work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back